• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Waste disposal rant....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waste disposal rant....

The lengths you have to go to in order to get shot of a couple of bags of bits of plasterboard...

Went up local tip Sunday morning - had to pay 2 quid to get in & then they told me they no longer accepted plasterboard. Had to go to frome instead.

Drove all the way over there (10 miles) to find that they shut at 12. Why they close on what would be their busiest day is beyond me.

Went back this morning & got accosted by some individual in a hi-viz jacket insisting on seeing the contents of my 2 bags. He said there was plaster in there as well as plasterboard so it has to be treated as rubble. Would cost £3.80 per bag.
    Would I be able to save myself £3.80 by chucking it all in a bigger bag? Yep. Would he let me off just this once to save me the inconvenience of driving off to get a bigger bag to put it in and coming back later? Nope.

So, after belching God knows how much co2 into the atmosphere, I'm still lumbered with 2 bags of plasterboard.

And people wonder why there's so much fly-tipping going on around here.....

Yeah.. I also got caught trying to dump a couple of bits of old plaster board in the rubble tip - the trick is to grind it all down to powder and put into bags for dumping - it seems dumping old plaster that's gone off is OK but not the actual plaster board
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Trowbridge tip was a pain in the arse when I went over. Insisted on going through every bag when I was stripping a house last year, sending me back and forth all over the shop.

Farnborough just lets you chuck the stuff in and they sort it out for you.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Just re read your post....

£2 to get in fook that
        £3.80 for rubble

Think you need to move

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          Just re read your post....

£2 to get in fook that
          £3.80 for rubble

Think you need to move
          Yeah - they even charge you to dump your recycling....

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
            And people wonder why there's so much fly-tipping going on around here.....
            Well, given that here in the UK we're never more than 70 miles from the sea, we've got the world's biggest and most convenient "rubbish tip" pretty much on our doorsteps!

Let's face it, we couldn't be any worse than what the petro-chemical industry dumps there!

Comment

Your local tip charges?

Crikey.

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
                Your local tip charges?

Crikey.
                Changes and charges for Frome, Coleford and other Recycling Centres | Frome People

Somerset Waste Partnership (SWP) will introduce reduced hours and new charges for tyres, soil, rubble, and gas bottles at all Recycling Centres and Community Recycling Sites from Monday 4 April.

The changes are part of a comprehensive savings package agreed by SWP’s governing Board to help it meet a funding reduction of £1.9 million over two years required by Somerset County Council.
                ....£2.90-£116 for soil or rubble.
                You'd be amazed at the things they class as soil or rubble

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  That's what I thought.

It'd never work around here, they'll drive for miles to the tops of mountains to dump rubbish, despite the civic amenity site being free.

Otherwise those 40 odd bags of moss I got rid of last "summer" would have bankrupted me.
                  Same in Kent ... they are now trying to stop pickups & vehicles with large trailers using the tip ... seen numerous shouting matches & noticed one of the imported Gurkhas now in charge of the front gate

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Same in Kent ... they are now trying to stop pickups & vehicles with large trailers using the tip ... seen numerous shouting matches & noticed one of the imported Gurkhas now in charge of the front gate
                    Crazy when the lane I live on regularly has stuff dumped in the layby. Usually building materials, but recently Christmas packaging!! grrrr!

Comment

Working...
                    X