• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a house in/around London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a house in/around London

Are there any pockets of value to buy a house around London at all?

I'm looking for:

Old house with a bit of character.
    An area where I won't get stabbed.
    On a tube line. Don't mind if it's right at the end.

A 2 bed terrace would suit me fine.

Budget is around 275k. I could get a decent flat for this but it doesnt seem to stretch to even a small house.

Originally posted by Kanye View Post
    Are there any pockets of value to buy a house around London at all?

I'm looking for:

Old house with a bit of character.
    An area where I won't get stabbed.
    On a tube line. Don't mind if it's right at the end.

A 2 bed terrace would suit me fine.

Budget is around 275k. I could get a decent flat for this but it doesnt seem to stretch to even a small house.
    Yes you can. Go to zone 3 or 4.

North London is good, good schools, houses are always wanted and on the underground or overground, and most importantly you can get a 2 bed in that budget. Best to go to the area walk around spend a Sat/Sunday there e.g. go to the local pubs drive around the streets and just get the feel of it...

South London around Bromley I is OK too (but officially its not really London, and on the main train, but its fast to get to the centre like in 20 minutes), life there is good and family place, but doesn't have that village feeling you get in north London little towns.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by won't get stabbed?

No area is guaranteed, you can only check previous history, bit like share prices, previous performance is no guarantee of future returns.

I live in Tottenham, and although I have been burgled once, I really enjoy living there. Not everyone's cup of tea but it suited me and the family fine for 3+ years.

You should be able to find a place in your price range there. Tottenham Hale direct to Stansted and Victoria Line, Turnpike Lane direct to Heathrow and Picadilly line, Central London in 20-30 mins.

Bought a 4 bed victorian house with garden, 2 lounges, garage and large separate office room there for the same price as a 3 bed basement hole in Finsbury Park.
      Last edited by Scrag Meister; 4 February 2013, 12:08.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I had been looking at Thaamesmead as it seems reasonably well priced with respect to typical purchase price and commutabiluty.
        My future in the capital is uncertain as I may be required to relocate so I am holding fire at the moment but I still may consider possibility of thisfor investment purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by wikramasingha View Post
          I had been looking at Thaamesmead as it seems reasonably well priced with respect to typical purchase price and commutabiluty.
          My future in the capital is uncertain as I may be required to relocate so I am holding fire at the moment but I still may consider possibility of thisfor investment purpose.
          Try Eltham
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            Try Eltham
            Is it nice?

Comment

For 275K one could get a nice farmhouse in the Yorkshire dales.... sigh...

Comment

Former marsh land, if they ever raise the Thames barrier, flooded for sure.

HTH
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
                  Yes you can. Go to zone 3 or 4.

North London is good, good schools, houses are always wanted and on the underground or overground, and most importantly you can get a 2 bed in that budget. Best to go to the area walk around spend a Sat/Sunday there e.g. go to the local pubs drive around the streets and just get the feel of it...

South London around Bromley I is OK too (but officially its not really London, and on the main train, but its fast to get to the centre like in 20 minutes), life there is good and family place, but doesn't have that village feeling you get in north London little towns.
                  London Borough Of Bromley and 0208 dialling code - what is officially not really London about that ??

Thamesmead is a total dive - which is why it is reasonably priced. Would definitely NOT move to this area.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Try Eltham
                    Is it nice?
                    Mottingham, Eltham, Bexley, Sidcup all supposed to be quite nice and easily commutable into London.

Comment

Working...
                    X