• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A rough method of working out your day rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A rough method of working out your day rate

Interesting.... any point of view?

I don't understand if it means 1.5 x (your permie salary/230+50%(benefits)) ....

http://news.bankingtech.efinancialca...ewsItemId-4106

Pay: A rough method of working out your day rate (if the market is very good add 25% to final figure):

Salary divided by 230 working days in a year (includes 2 week holiday) = x
    x + 50% (Benefits) = a
    a + 50% (Risk) = a rough day rate
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

If it's enough for you to lead a nice lifestyle, not have to worry whether you can go to that restaurant or go on this holiday, and bank some surplus for the future, then it's enough. That's my rule of thumb for calculating my day rate.

Obviously more would be nicer, but I'm not greedy.

Comment

Using that formula, 50K pa becomes £498 a day, so stick to the old "Salary = (dayrate * 100)" equation then...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
        Using that formula, 50K pa becomes £498 a day, so stick to the old "Salary = (dayrate * 100)" equation then...

Not really... (50.000/230 + 5.000{benefits}x0.5/230) * 1.5 = (217.4+ 10.8) * 1.5 = 228.2 {actual equivalent monetary rate } * 1.5 = 342.3 a day. So 340 or 50k permie salary +benefits. Seems quite right to me.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Huh? (50,000 / 230) * 1.5 *1.5 = 489.

Anyway, you're a contractor. Take the highest answer.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
            Huh? (50,000 / 230) * 1.5 *1.5 = 489.

Anyway, you're a contractor. Take the highest answer.

No, no, no 1.5 twice... only one.

Comment

erm, as a contractor on a day rate, why would I want to know this information? Is it for permies who aspire to be contractors but in the end find reasons not to?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                erm, as a contractor on a day rate, why would I want to know this information? Is it for permies who aspire to be contractors but in the end find reasons not to?

If they offer you a rate of 40 pounds an hour and a permie job of 100k a year, would you still go contracting? I think it is quite reasonable to take as a starting point your equivalent permie salary.

p.s. the real contractor is the one who doesn't believe in anything and he's also ready to sell himself as a permie should the daily rate be more.
                Last edited by Francko; 4 July 2006, 11:00.

Comment

I tend to use the trusted method of Rolex watches @week /5

HTH
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                    If they offer you a rate of 40 pounds an hour and a permie job of 100k a year, would you still go contracting? I think it is quite reasonable to take as a starting point your equivalent permie salary.

p.s. the real contractor is the one who doesn't believe in anything and he's also ready to sell himself as a permie should the daily rate be more.

Total dogsh1te. A £100K permie position with 20 days holiday a year, tugging your forelock to a line manager on a daily basis while worrying about your annual appraisal? I don't think so.

The real contractor is the one who sees more advantages to the contractor lifestyle than the cash...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X