• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I charge consultancy fees?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I charge consultancy fees?

I have been shortlisted by a public broadcasting company for my expertise in matters of security.

I have taken phone interview and with informal face to face they like my knowledge and expertise. They want me to sit one technical test before I am offered.

On these boards there have been many discussions on this matter of the fine line between technical test and providing consultancy free of charge.

It is inside this latter category that I feel my brief sits with what these people are asking.

I must prepare for the following very hypothetical security scenario.

The corporation's reporting UIs are becoming infected by malicious scripts produced by nihilist hockers. These scripts, or widget togglers, render the reporting UI elements invisible.

I am to write generic undercracker class to protect UI from these widget togglers. The efficacy of this will be tested by his team when they will try to forcibly inject their widget togglers beyond my undercracker layer. It is on this he has insisted that my success in applying for this roll will hinge.

Should I be in a position to charge consultancy via my LLC for this exercise? Has anyone written similar undercracker class and what challenges presented?

Originally posted by wikramasingha View Post
    Has anyone written similar undercracker class
    Yes

what challenges presented?
    Lots

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Yes charge - you shouldn't let them get their hands on your Undercrackers without payment.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

they will try to forcibly inject their widget togglers beyond my undercracker layer.
        Seriously? Just tell them no means no. You're surely not a real person?

Comment

Comment

they will try to forcibly inject their widget togglers beyond my undercracker layer
            This one has to be a wind up surely?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

...something about France next
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I am friends with a former soap opera actor who has written storylines which he has presented to a public broadcasting corporation.

They rejected his work, as in gave him no money, but he has since seen his storylines on tv.

Coincidence? Maybe.......

Comment

SAS, the lengths to which you go to create a sockie is unbelievable. Give it up mate.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                  X