• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decisions, decisions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decisions, decisions

Got contacted yesterday about a gig at a former clientco.

My experiences at said former client weren't the best, more so from one of the permies being a political tulipstirrer and backstabbing biatch and trying to take over my project as it was high profile, apart from that, it was ok.

Only snag is the pimp has to go through a third party (used by the clientco) and they delay the payments (that is the barstewards sit on the money for a month), but you do get paid eventually and also said third party do an annoying screening process.

Only reason I may consider this, is I know the people, its back in cloggers, its money in the bank, and I would have plenty of chance to practice my cloggy and get it up to a level where I can converse better and its a 10 min commute by train.

Advise/Abuse on a post(card) please.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

If you have nothing better than go for it!
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Its in cloggers. You want to live in cloggers and a reference or two in cloggers will do you the world of good.

I'm surprised you haven't jumped on it already so what is the problem. If its the permie you already know who the trouble makers are so set ground rules before agreeing to go there.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

As long as you have a notice period what's the worst that can happen? Annoying screening process get done once, then that's it.

I'd take a look.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          Got contacted yesterday about a gig at a former clientco.

My experiences at said former client weren't the best, more so from one of the permies being a political tulipstirrer and backstabbing biatch and trying to take over my project as it was high profile, apart from that, it was ok.

Only snag is the pimp has to go through a third party (used by the clientco) and they delay the payments (that is the barstewards sit on the money for a month), but you do get paid eventually and also said third party do an annoying screening process.

Only reason I may consider this, is I know the people, its back in cloggers, its money in the bank, and I would have plenty of chance to practice my cloggy and get it up to a level where I can converse better and its a 10 min commute by train.

Advise/Abuse on a post(card) please.
          Sounds like a ClientCo in Berkshire.... ?!!

Comment

ask them to fix the things that annoy you, then go for it.

Prompt payment + on site contact who understands the challenge of the backstabber and won't let her do it to you.

They want you!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The pimp is a small company that doesn't have the clout with the third party, the third party didn't pay the pimp for two months after I finished and as a result I didn't get paid either.

Worse thing is I'll have to do all the screening b*ll*cks, all over again. This is not simple, fill in everything online, screening, this is having to get all done and signed and originals sent, as well as CRB checks in both UK ( they still have my last one, but of course they will insist on yet another one) and cloggers and references.

As for the back stabbing bitch, if she's anywhere near the project then I aint touching it with a bargepole. She was obstructive to the point of blocking resources and budget being given to the project all because she wanted the project herself as it got her close to dealing with board members and noticed by people higher up the chain.

Funny thing is I didn't renew as I'd had enough of her tulip and when she took the project over, so many people had flagged her as a red card as she didn't understand the subject matter, she got taken off and the project sidelined.

I'll see what the rate is like and probably contact some people I know there to see what is going on.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Couple of things that I have found in my experience :

1) going back never works. Never go back. I got called back to my last gig (having been project hero) and have just ****ed it right off. Working for a different manager mind, total and utter cockknobber. Onwards and upwards.

2) contracting through more than intermediary is a royal pain and very stressful.

Frankly this sounds tulipty Norrahe.

Well you did ask.

Good luck with finding a more perfect role in cloggers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kryten View Post
                  Couple of things that I have found in my experience :

1) going back never works. Never go back. I got called back to my last gig (having been project hero) and have just ****ed it right off. Working for a different manager mind, total and utter cockknobber. Onwards and upwards.
                  Oh Suity, suity, suity. I (granted it was probably just me as no one else was fooled) almost believed that Kryten wasn't Suity under a new name. Then you gave the game away.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Oh Suity, suity, suity. I (granted it was probably just me as no one else was fooled) almost believed that Kryten wasn't Suity under a new name. Then you gave the game away.
                    Believe what you want. Ffs I've had it really. Suity, kryten, just another forum poster. It's not important. Why are you so obsessed with Suity?

And why do I get tulipty pms from certain posters ordering me to go back to posting as Suity? (Not that this is an admission in any kind of way, just saying)

Seriously, why?

Comment

Working...
                    X