• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone here invest in the stock market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 11 June 2022, 08:29.

Yup - got a core holding and usually buy £1k @ month
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post

...or have shares gone out of fashion nowadays?
      Yup. Started in 1986. Maxed out my PEP then ISA allowance every year since. Partner too.

Got into the discipline of monthly investment. Never missed a month since and increased the levels as my rate went up. Our investment strategy was completed in December 2012 at which point we were putting in 3k a month into various vehicles.

Portfolio now healthily in 7 figures. It paid off the mortgage 10 years ago on my 40th birthday. Retiring on the proceeds at the end of the year.

Stock market never when out of fashion for me and I've been through the 87 crash, 1990-1992 recession, 97 Asian crash, Russian hedge fund crash 1998, dotcom crash 1999, 9/11, Iraq war and financial crisis 2007- present.

All about time not timing - get rich slowly.

Comment

Yes I invest in individual stocks, but I won't bother with the smug history.

Comment

Stock market never when out of fashion for me and I've been through the 87 crash, 1990-1992 recession, 97 Asian crash, Russian hedge fund crash 1998, dotcom crash 1999, 9/11, Iraq war and financial crisis 2007- present.
          Yeah, sounds like a crash proof way to get rich.

I think the lesson is: buy like mad after each crash.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Yeah, sounds like a crash proof way to get rich.

I think the lesson is: buy like mad after each crash.
            Nope. Just don't panic at the day to day to headlines. Stick to your strategy and the good years will outweigh the bad ones.

Time not timing, time not timing, time not timing........

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              Yes I invest in individual stocks, but I won't bother with the smug history.
              Don't feel smug but I've learned to ignore the "fill yer boots" merchants and the doom-mongers in equal measure.

If that makes me smug I'll take it!

Comment

Originally posted by LGDT View Post
                Yup. Started in 1986. Maxed out my PEP then ISA allowance every year since. Partner too.

Got into the discipline of monthly investment. Never missed a month since and increased the levels as my rate went up. Our investment strategy was completed in December 2012 at which point we were putting in 3k a month into various vehicles.

Portfolio now healthily in 7 figures. It paid off the mortgage 10 years ago on my 40th birthday. Retiring on the proceeds at the end of the year.

All about time not timing - get rich slowly.
                That is seriously impressive. Well played.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
                  I prefer "blunder about", but yes.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Alternatively you could have bought a house every year since 1971 and be a trillionaire by now.

Comment

Working...
                    X