• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Life changing moments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life changing moments

Way back in the day after I finished uni I signed on the dole while I figured out what I wanted to do, nine quid a week if I remember rightly.

I was already playing guitar to a good standard but hadn't yet joined a band but was getting more involved in the traditional music scene playing mandolin. A mate of mine had bought a tenor banjo (same tuning as mandolin but sounded way better and I really wanted one). Giro day would see me paying dig money for the week leaving me with three quid to amuse myself with so I'd head into Glasgow and wander around the music and record shops. One day browsing around McCormacks's music shop I saw a second hand tenor banjo for sale for fifty five quid, might as well have been fifty five thousand. I had a play and it was excellent and worth way more than they were asking for it, handing it back I said to the sales guy I'll have a think about it (he thought tyre kicker).

I left the shop disappointed knowing I'd never be able to afford it. I walked round the corner and as I was passing a bookie's shop I saw ahead lying on the street what looked like a folded up ten pound note and people were walking past it without taking any notice, heart pounding at such wealth I picked it up and noticed it was a bundle of tenners, I discretely counted it - sixty quid!

It didn't take long to figure out what to do, it was outside a bookie's so someone was going in or out of the place and dropped it so guilt aside I thought fair game.

Back to the music shop and bought the banjo, do you want a case to go with that says the sales guy? No thanks, couldn't afford the £40 for a hard case just wrap it in a bin bag. Now, I knew the banjo was worth more than what they were asking and was sure someone had made a mistake so as the guy is scrutinising the sales ticket and some kind of notebook I'm just trying to get out of the shop in case he spots something wrong. As I'm leaving the shop he catches up with me, there's a mistake he says it comes with a hard case - result!

About that time the dole money gets cut off because of some technicality or other just after I'd moved into a bedsit so there I am no income and rent money due never mind being able to buy food. At the suggestion of one of the other guys in the bedsit who busked I decided I had no other option so hit the streets of Glasgow with the banjo even although I only knew a couple of tunes. He used to make three or four quid in a day which was fine, rent was fifteen a week so busking every day would get the rent paid, food and beers.

After walking up and down Sauchiehall Street for an hour I plucked up the courage to start playing, the nerves went as soon as people started dropping money into the open banjo case. I played for two hours and thought I'd better count the dosh as I couldn't see the bottom of the case - forty three quid not counting the coppers, jeez I couldn't believe it so party time that night.

That became the job seven days a week and since I had so much exposure on the streets I'd be approached by other musicians and before long was playing in a band thus trebling my income, it was easy to make the decision to become a pro musician. It also led to the start of the IT career but that's another story.

So, finding some money in the street quickly led to a major life change and ultimately the successful career I've had in IT.
    Last edited by Cliphead; 8 February 2013, 20:18.
    Me, me, me...

How did you get into IT ? Was your degree a techy one or was it just natural curiosity and discovery that it's actually a doddle ?

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
      How did you get into IT ? Was your degree a techy one or was it just natural curiosity and discovery that it's actually a doddle ?
      I did astronomy at uni but did some programming when working for the MoD. How I actually got into it is part of the above but yet another long story. And yes it was a doddle
      Me, me, me...

Comment

excellent! what happened to the tenor banjo oh clipmeister?

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
          excellent! what happened to the tenor banjo oh clipmeister?
          It provided great service for a few years until I replaced it with a better model, kinda miss it though. Although I have a decent collection of guitars I only have the one banjo that's twenty years old now. I don't gig anymore but I'll find a better one sometime.

I'd like to think my first banjo is out there somewhere providing inspiration for another beginner.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

When I was 17, I was already smoking 20 a day and had been for a couple of years.

On my way back from the last day of my summer holiday job, I rode my high powered Suzuki GP100 into a Ford Transit.

The Ford Transit came off better.

However, as I couldn't smoke due to not being allowed in Hospital and also as I had both arms in plaster for a few weeks, I kicked the smoking habit.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
              When I was 17, I was already smoking 20 a day and had been for a couple of years.

On my way back from the last day of my summer holiday job, I rode my high powered Suzuki GP100 into a Ford Transit.

The Ford Transit came off better.

However, as I couldn't smoke due to not being allowed in Hospital and also as I had both arms in plaster, I kicked the smoking habit.
              And that will add years to your life
              Me, me, me...

Comment

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Cliphead again.
                Nice story. Ta for sharing it.

For what it's worth, my first serious dole money was during the Easter hols before my finals and it was 14 quid a week. Rent on top at about a fiver a week for a 2 bedroom house, and I had a couple of mates sharing the house for those hols, so the rent apiece was obviously lower. We worked hard at our studies and got good food and beer down us at the same time.

My next tangle with the dole was back living with my parents after I had my degree.

Only £7.50 a week dole money because I lived with my parents and they assumed everything was paid for. The parents demanded 7 quid of that for board and lodgings.

Fook that. 50p a week to look for a job, never mind any social life. I did find a job, and moved out pronto.

Unfortunately my elder sister fell for my parents' crap and was trapped there financially for years.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Good story but you could embellish it a bit [more]... you found a tenner and went into the bookmakers where there was a race just starting and a horse was called 'banjo' so you slapped on the £10 at 6/1.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    Way back in the day after I finished uni I signed on the dole while I figured out what I wanted to do, nine quid a week if I remember rightly.

I was already playing guitar to a good standard but hadn't yet joined a band but was getting more involved in the traditional music scene playing mandolin. A mate of mine had bought a tenor banjo (same tuning as mandolin but sounded way better and I really wanted one). Giro day would see me paying dig money for the week leaving me with three quid to amuse myself with so I'd head into Glasgow and wander around the music and record shops. One day browsing around McCormacks's music shop I saw a second hand tenor banjo for sale for fifty five quid, might as well have been fifty five thousand. I had a play and it was excellent and worth way more than they were asking for it, handing it back I said to the sales guy I'll have a think about it (he thought tyre kicker).

I left the shop disappointed knowing I'd never be able to afford it. I walked round the corner and as I was passing a bookie's shop I saw ahead lying on the street what looked like a folded up ten pound note and people were walking past it without taking any notice, heart pounding at such wealth I picked it up and noticed it was a bundle of tenners, I discretely counted it - sixty quid!

It didn't take long to figure out what to do, it was outside a bookie's so someone was going in or out of the place and dropped it so guilt aside I thought fair game.

Back to the music shop and bought the banjo, do you want a case to go with that says the sales guy? No thanks, couldn't afford the £40 for a hard case just wrap it in a bin bag. Now, I knew the banjo was worth more than what they were asking and was sure someone had made a mistake so as the guy is scrutinising the sales ticket and some kind of notebook I'm just trying to get out of the shop in case he spots something wrong. As I'm leaving the shop he catches up with me, there's a mistake he says it comes with a hard case - result!

About that time the dole money gets cut off because of some technicality or other just after I'd moved into a bedsit so there I am no income and rent money due never mind being able to buy food. At the suggestion of one of the other guys in the bedsit who busked I decided I had no other option so hit the streets of Glasgow with the banjo even although I only knew a couple of tunes. He used to make three or four quid in a day which was fine, rent was fifteen a week so busking every day would get the rent paid, food and beers.

After walking up and down Sauchiehall Street for an hour I plucked up the courage to start playing, the nerves went as soon as people started dropping money into the open banjo case. I played for two hours and thought I'd better count the dosh as I couldn't see the bottom of the case - forty three quid not counting the coppers, jeez I couldn't believe it so party time that night.

That became the job seven days a week and since I had so much exposure on the streets I'd be approached by other musicians and before long was playing in a band thus trebling my income, it was easy to make the decision to become a pro musician. It also led to the start of the IT career but that's another story.

So, finding some money in the street quickly led to a major life change and ultimately the successful career I've had in IT.

Have you ever been to Banjo Island? Trust me, you don't want to...

Comment

Working...
                    X