• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to look for in a software tester?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to look for in a software tester?

What background do you look for when hiring a software tester? I'm not hiring and I'm not an agent: it's just a question I've pondered.

* Someone with a computer science degree? Is an in depth knowledge of computer science necessary?

* An ex-programmer? They'd have a good insight into the corners programmers will cut when schedules are tight and test cases which will have been difficult, annoying or boring to implement.

* Someone who liked breaking things as a kid? Although this probably applies to the entire human race. How does someone get good at learning how to break stuff?

* Just generally the sort of person who thinks of everything? Would they have certain hobbies or interests which would mark them out?

* Someone with all the certifications? Or been on particular course?

* Just someone with a lot of experience?

I know there's some professional testers in these forums and I'd very much like to hear what it's all about; I don't mean to antagonise forum members and I'm not trolling. Someone who can come in, find bugs that no one even knew where there and identify corner cases nobody else can would be an excellent team member but I've never worked with these professionals.

In my experience, the majority of the testers I've met have been from non-IT backgrounds and were moved into testing when other departments were laying people off. Most I've considered general dogsbodies without any particular skills. Their main value, as I see it, is programmers often have a fixed idea of how someone will use an app, and having someone else use it can be an eyeopener. Also, you can't always trust a programmer to test his own work. However that's a task a general dogsbody could fulfil: not someone who touts themselves as a professional tester.

At one place, the accounts team became the testing team when their department was downsized. The application was nothing to do with accountancy so they didn't have the advantage of domain knowledge or anything. Their roles were to do what most companies would do with automated testing tools. Automated testing tools existed back then and it would have been nice if they'd known enough about the technologies in their area of expertise to suggest one, which ended up being something the programmers piped up about. I guess the test team would be putting themselves out of a job if they suggested Selenium but they simply didn't have any interest in testing as a profession.

They followed a set of instructions (which represented a test case) by hand, manually clicking the mouse etc, and filed a bug report if it went wrong. The developers had to create the test case instructions because the testers did not have the skill, understanding or familiarity with the requirements to do it and thus all test cases were solely identified by the programmers. The testers performed no exploratory testing either. Indeed I've rarely worked anywhere that allowed the testers the luxury of just playing with the app to see if they could break it.

So the programmers saw no benefit from the testers at all. Without the test team I assume this would have been a task left to the programmers so I guess it freed them up to write code. But that's it. According to the manager, testers and programmers were paid similarly, which I find bizarre when the programmers could do the testers' jobs but not vice-versa.

Whilst I've described the worst example above, I've seen this pattern many times in other workplaces.

Any thoughts?

That is a lot of text for something you are just pondering!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Go on then ....

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
      * Someone with a computer science degree? Is an in depth knowledge of computer science necessary?
      No and no.

* An ex-programmer? They'd have a good insight into the corners programmers will cut when schedules are tight and test cases which will have been difficult, annoying or boring to implement.
      Maybe, I've worked with ex-developers who have moved into testing. It can be a positive if they're not just intending to mark-time until the next dev job comes along.

* Someone who liked breaking things as a kid? Although this probably applies to the entire human race. How does someone get good at learning how to break stuff?
      Get good at learning? It's experience coupled with the ability to apply that experience to whatever you're working on that matters.

* Just generally the sort of person who thinks of everything? Would they have certain hobbies or interests which would mark them out?
      Who the heck thinks of everything? No. Perhaps someone that, no matter how 'senior' they think they are, is happy to accept input from the most junior member of the team?

* Someone with all the certifications? Or been on particular course?
      No.

* Just someone with a lot of experience?
      It's experience coupled with the ability to apply that experience to whatever you're working on that matters.

Someone who can come in, find bugs that no one even knew where there and identify corner cases nobody else can.

In my experience, the majority of the testers I've met have been from non-IT backgrounds and were moved into testing when other departments were laying people off. Most I've considered general dogsbodies without any particular skills. Their main value, as I see it, is programmers often have a fixed idea of how someone will use an app, and having someone else use it can be an eyeopener. Also, you can't always trust a programmer to test his own work. However that's a task a general dogsbody could fulfil: not someone who touts themselves as a professional tester.
      I wonder what they considered you to be?

blah, blah blah
      Any thoughts?
      Plenty. If you're looking for anything specific my charge-out rate is £50ph

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
        No and no.
        So do you have a CS degree and consider it to have been a waste of time for your line of work? Would any degree at all be useful?

I wonder what they considered you to be?
        It's irrelevant: they were software professionals in name only---I don't consider them my peers. This doesn't relate to all testers, just this bunch. However I see a lack of professional standards in IT generally: we're not engineers yet.

Plenty. If you're looking for anything specific my charge-out rate is £50ph
        I'm not hiring.

To summarise, I think you're saying you should look at testers' experience but ignore degrees and certifications. I still think that's not an easy task.

Comment

So do you have a CS degree and consider it to have been a waste of time for your line of work? Would any degree at all be useful?
          No CS degree. It probably would have been a waste of time for me.

However I see a lack of professional standards in IT generally: we're not engineers yet.
          No, we're not engineers. Lack of professional standards are partly the fault of the very organisations that produce the software.

I'm not hiring.
          That's ok. I'm not looking.

To summarise, I think you're saying you should look at testers' experience but ignore degrees and certifications. I still think that's not an easy task.
          No. It's not that simple. By all means look for testers with degrees. It shows they can spend ages concentrating on a task (getting a degree) but don't ignore testers without one.

Look for testers with experience, but look for people within that group who can demonstrate they can APPLY that experience to your requirements.

If you're building a testing team you'd need a mix of skills/attitudes within it. You need the guys who'll execute your manual tests day-in day-out you'll need some people with some tech skills and a few who can lead pieces of work, do the analysis and design the tests.

It's not easy.

Comment

Judging by the ones I've been sent recently, I would check for a pulse and previous lobotomy scars
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              Judging by the ones I've been sent recently, I would check for a pulse and previous lobotomy scars

We've not met have we?

Comment

We've not met have we?
                Well, I don't know. Are you a fat woman who has several cats with 'man' type names, or a bloke with a really strong manc accent who says 'carrrrryyyy on invoooooiiicing' a lot, a strange bird who looks like she's drugged up, or a greasy bloke so fat, you can't sit on one chair ?

If so, i've terminated you in the last month, (or next week if you're the last one)
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Shirley all a Test Monkey needs to be able to do is press a button and tell the difference between a Green button and a Red button in SoapUI?!
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    Well, I don't know. Are you a fat woman who has several cats with 'man' type names, or a bloke with a really strong manc accent who says 'carrrrryyyy on invoooooiiicing' a lot, a strange bird who looks like she's drugged up, or a greasy bloke so fat, you can't sit on one chair ?

If so, i've terminated you in the last month, (or next week if you're the last one)
                    LOL!

Seriously no. None of those are me. But I know how you feel, I just can't terminate the dross legally.

Comment

Working...
                    X