• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why Outsourcing doesn't work...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Outsourcing doesn't work...

Working for a major Irish Bank - SEPA...

Testing going on SIT and NFT, friday on big conf call as why progress is not great...

Answer came eventually - off shored not to India this time but to China and they'd all fooked off back home for Chinese New Year without telling anyone...

Can't see me working in China and clearing off back home for Lent!

Project manager needs a shoeing, they should have planned for this.

Offshore to China and not factor in a major holiday. Feckin' eejit.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

One of the world's most celebrated events and it can't be figured in?
      Me, me, me...

Comment

A bank actually offshore to China? WTF!

Anytime I need a DBA in client co they seem to be away on lunch, what time do they have lunch at in India? Seems to be 2 in the morning now.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

But, me being a (lapsed) Catholic, should the PM factor in my Easter praisings? What if we get some Ukrainians in and not factor in International Women's Day? Big day off for the Former Sovs!

8th March BTW...

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            A bank actually offshore to China? WTF!

Anytime I need a DBA in client co they seem to be away on lunch, what time do they have lunch at in India? Seems to be 2 in the morning now.
            They probably said 'out to lunch' as in fruitcake hth

Comment

It will take me 4 hours to get one simple read query run on the prod DB, whilst middle management sing and dance about being an agile operation.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

I had that with a prospective contract in the Middle East which fell across Easter.

The PM couldn't understand that I would be working through Easter, 'cos the end client didn't celebrate it. He didn't get the idea of a six day working week, with Fridays off either...

The day rate was fine but I wasn't going to get paid for the Easter hols so I quietly declined the gig.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Interestingly, time zone differences allowing "Round the clock" work counted as an advantage in the theory of outsourcing. Funny how sometimes things don't work as anticipated.
                  If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    But, me being a (lapsed) Catholic, should the PM factor in my Easter praisings? What if we get some Ukrainians in and not factor in International Women's Day? Big day off for the Former Sovs!

8th March BTW...
                    Well you need to factor in these things, also a lapsed catholic ( I think I've practised enough) but easter hols, are easter hols. Its also like working with a US firm on independence day and thanksgiving, the aint going to be in the office.

We're talking about national holidays here. Also cultural differences are a big deal, if you deal with France or Spain, forget contacting them from about 12-3pm, if you deal with Holland, forget contacting them after 3pm on a Friday (they like to "celebrate" the weekends aka feck orf early).

If you're dealing with other nationalities and cultures then factor in, holidays and cultural anomalies. Simples!
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X