• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All this horse meat malarkey

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All this horse meat malarkey

Should we just start eating horse meat, as long as it is labelled as such and meets required standards?

Poll to follow....
    Yes - I'm so hungry I could eat a horse
    81.48%
    Nooo - I'm not eating My Little Pony
    3.70%
    I'm too busy riding AndyW's mum to care
    14.81%

Lived in Europe for years what's the problem?
    Me, me, me...

Comment

I don't see what the beef is all about
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
        What about dog or cat?
        I think the difference is that to eat dog/cat, you'd probably need to breed them specifically for the food industry, which is unpalatable to the Brits as pet owners. Most dogs and cats are domestic pets, and are buried in the garden / disposed of by the vet when the time comes. I suspect that the barbiturates required to put a pet 'to sleep' would make it unfit for human consumption. Also, AFAIK, our European neighbours don't routinely consume their moggies.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          I think the difference is that to eat dog/cat, you'd probably need to breed them specifically for the food industry, which is unpalatable to the Brits as pet owners. Most dogs and cats are domestic pets, and are buried in the garden / disposed of by the vet when the time comes. I suspect that the barbiturates required to put a pet 'to sleep' would make it unfit for human consumption.
          I hadn't thought about the barbiturates thing but it's a good point.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Also, AFAIK, our European neighbours don't routinely consume their moggies.
          There's a horse meat butcher just up the road from me.

There had apparently been a problem with semi-wild dogs in the bit of Zambia I lived in. These disappeared when some workers from the Philippines arrived
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Do we know what happened to Shergar?

Comment

Having a Dutch Father and Dutch Grandparents I've eaten horse from an early age. I remember when I was 4 or 5 being told that I was eating horse meat. Too young to know that WGAS was an appropriate response I just tucked in.

If the butchers'll sell it I'll eat it.

Trouble with eating cat is you'll need to buy it un-skinned, or risk the butcher selling you a skanky rabbit instead.

Comment

WSMS. He's swallowed far worst.
                I don't recall sausage at pig night

or do you mean Worse?
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Why do Findus put lots of cheese in their lasagnes?

To Mascarpony

Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

So what does Horse taste like? Beef?
                    Similar, I've had horse meat tartare, which was nice, a Belgian flatmate at uni used to bring it over. I've seen it at the local butchers here in cloggers, but since said butchers seem to sell frozen meat and plofkip, I steer clear of it.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X