• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've seen this house I want

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen this house I want

It's in a good area with great local schools but it's up for £1.6m, which is several hundred thousand £ above my max budget. I would need to sell my house and then raise at least another £600k, and then take on a sizeable mortgage.

Life has various stages, in all of which I have done reasonably well. But financially speaking I have hit a wall and I just don't see how I can take the next leap upwards. I'm in a house that, to all intents and purposes, is OK for our needs but I'm not happy with the local schools for our kids, and frankly I'm a little bored and want a change.

It seems to have been fairly easy to reach this point in my life, but the next step means talking in many hundreds of thousands or £1m+ and that just seems to be an impossible task. You can't get there working for someone else or contracting even at decent rates.

Perhaps I should just be happy with my lot.

P.S. dunno why I'm telling you lot, just had to get it off my chest I guess.

The only houses in the catchment of the school you want cost >£1m? Or you only like schools where all the properties are worth >£1m?

Is this a joke thread?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      frankly I'm a little bored and want a change.
      Get a mistress or a Toyota GT86

HTH
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

It's in a good area with great local schools but it's up for £1.6m, which is several hundred thousand £ above my max budget. I would need to sell my house and then raise at least another £600k, and then take on a sizeable mortgage.

Life has various stages, in all of which I have done reasonably well. But financially speaking I have hit a wall and I just don't see how I can take the next leap upwards. I'm in a house that, to all intents and purposes, is OK for our needs but I'm not happy with the local schools for our kids, and frankly I'm a little bored and want a change.

It seems to have been fairly easy to reach this point in my life, but the next step means talking in many hundreds of thousands or £1m+ and that just seems to be an impossible task. You can't get there working for someone else or contracting even at decent rates.

I've seen this house I want, it's George Clooney's villa on Lake Como. I'm €10 million short and it's really depressing me......

Sheesh get a grip.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          The only houses in the catchment of the school you want cost >£1m? Or you only like schools where all the properties are worth >£1m?

Is this a joke thread?
          I suspect it's serious. I have much the same problem. There are no reasonably sized family homes in my area for less than 700 grand.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            I've seen this house I want, it's George Clooney's villa on Lake Como. I'm €10 million short and it's really depressing me......

Sheesh get a grip.
            Yes but let's get real. Firstly I'm not thinking about just myself: I want to move to get the kids into the best schools possible. And as a family man I need to have a home capable of supporting that family plus my parents if they so choose to, because I am willing for them to live with me in their old age.

Family houses in decent areas with the best schools don't come cheap. Sure yes I could buy a smaller house than the one I live in, but that wouldn't suit us and I would see it as a step backwards.

In any case the real cruz of my rambling was that it's easy enough to get to a certain level in your life, but the next step is a huge leap. And that's where I'm stuck right now.

Comment

In any case the real cruz of my rambling was that it's easy enough to get to a certain level in your life, but the next step is a huge leap. And that's where I'm stuck right now.
              As a one-man-band you can only get so far; you run up against a glass ceiling and that's what happens to most of us. We make a good living but not a great one. In order to make that leap to the next level you have to do change the model.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

How much is a big mortgage these days anyway ?? Recently spoke to a financial advisor who told me based upon my current rates we could borrow around 450 - 500k. Luckily for us we can get everything we'd want for 500k, but the thought of a mortgage of around £400k scares the bejesus out of me.

Comment

Everyone is loading up on cheap debt again?

It's like the credit bubble never happened.

Boomed!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Everyone is loading up on cheap debt again?

It's like the credit bubble never happened.

Boomed!
                    Exactly my point !

What is normal and what would be loading up cheap credit ? Is it an LTV things or is it hard cash - is 75% LTV ok if you're house is 150k, but not if it's worth 500K ?

Comment

Working...
                    X