• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Capital Purchases - When can I buy another computer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[For those too lazy to read all the way I know this is in General, its where I want it to be]

Ok, had a quick look but couldn't find anything recent for this specific question, I am a LtdCo with two directors, don't use an accountant as director two does the finances so its not as if he is on there for no reason.

Year 1 I buy myself a new laptop through the company, in my eyes perfectly legit expenses, I am using it on clients site ✔
    Year 2 We buy Director 2 a new laptop, again uses it only for the company books and has software on to prove it ✔
    Year 3 I want to buy myself a new desktop for use in the home office, when I am working from home just having the laptop is a bit of a pain, if I start thinking second monitor, docking station etc etc I might as well buy a new system. Now my head says thats fine, but I have a single doubt that three computers for two employees is a bit opulent. ?

I am not asking for the forums opinion on if I am allowed to buy it (hence being in General rather than Accounting), I am buying it no matter what, just wanted a view on what other peoples set up is as ideally as well as the new desktop I want to get a server to replace the NAS box I have under my desk for a bit more resilience with backups, start hosting my own mail server and website rather than paying out for hosting so will make the most of the capital purchases in one hit

Ideally I want something like this....

1) iMac Desktop for the office
    2) MacBook Pro for me to use on site with clients
    3) Wintel Laptop for Director 2 to use away from office
    3) Wintel Server powerful enough to run ESXi for at least two VM's, one for TimeMachine backups and a 2K8 Domain

I want to keep the server Windows based as thats what I know and am comfortable with, also handy for me to keep my AD type skills upto date, although the TM VM will be a Linux Distro following this

So in summary, two questions, what's your LtdCo's IT setup, and where should I look for a good rack mounted server, is it still Dell or HP?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

I can see absolutely nothing untoward about having a laptop and a desktop for normal work. If you're a developer it would be quite reasonable to have a whole stack of PCs for testing, using as servers, etc.

I've got a desktop and a Macbook and an iPad, and really I need a newer laptop for general dev work out of the house.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

MBPro for when away from home office
      Win7 Desktop in home office with raided disks
      NAS (raid) in home office

Both laptop and desktop running various linux distros & XP as VMs

I don't need anymore than that but YMMV.

If it's what you want JFDI (this is general )

Comment

As a Unix person, I have a pSeries for proper lpars and dual vios, an Intellistation for NIM work a Sub T2000 for ldoms and an X4200M2 for when I deign to lower myself away from proper virtualisation. Also have an SGi Fuel, got some work on the back if that, no HP-UX kit tho, that seems dead in the water...

Now all under the control of a remote Ethernet power switch to save leccy. Proper loms too

Comment

I have a 5 year old Dell desktop that mostly runs as a server and host for a few test and build VMs. I bought a laptop through the company about 4 years ago, which is now retired except for using it to test Windows 8. I bought a new laptop last year, but personally as I was a permie at the time, which I'm now using as my full time development machine for a client. I suppose I could buy it off myself; not sure it's worth the effort.

If you're serious about doing development work on your own (rather than on client's equipment), you really need some kind of server with decent redundant storage, AND a laptop that you can take to client's sites or wherever. Those are the tools of the trade.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

you think Golfers have one set of clubs? Cyclists one Bike?

2-3 computers is de rigeur for an IT pro. even permies.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I wouldn't get a rackmount - they're big and ugly. Get something small, fast and most of all quiet that doesn't use much power. Even a moderate server will be powerful enough for your needs so spend the cash on lots of storage and something you can live with rather than raw grunt.

I have a Tranquil SQA-5H server running Windows Home Server. It's a great product but is no longer being pushed by MS so I'm going to run it as long as I can. That looks after a network of 5 PCs and various mobile devices all running Windows.

Tranquil PC
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I went into a FApple shop the other day. Those 27" iMacs sure are pretty. And I must be earning too much because it didn't sound that overpriced
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I went into a FApple shop the other day. Those 27" iMacs sure are pretty. And I must be earning too much because it didn't sound that overpriced
                  They're thin too. I'm resisting because the next thing I know I'll have bought one and a couple of daisy chained Thunderbolt displays and I'll have no space (or money) left.

Comment

If your going the apple route, forget getting a server for backups, get a time capsule, simplestithing ever to setup, and it just works. plug it in, the mac will say "i notice theres a time capsule somewhere near here do you want to set it up". then a few click and bits of typing later and you have automatic versioned backups, which let you restore from any point in time, to about the nearest hour. the best part is time machine, to fidn a file you accidentally deleted or need an older version, the interface looks like a wormhole, that you go back in time through. find the date tie you want and go to the file location you want and the file will be there. Sometimes you have to give apple credit for making what is usually a tedious and user painful process into something so simple. cant imagine my mum going through cron files to get the right tar archive and gunzipped with the rig command line options to get the file she was interested in. lol.
                    Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Working...
                    X