PDA

View Full Version : UK born and bread, looking to move to Australia

kingcook
13th February 2013, 18:43
I wondered if anyone here has done this recently. Looking for advice and experiences. This is just a thought in my mind at the mo, and probably won't happen for at least another year.

I'm currently living in the UK (resident) and would like to emmigrate to Australia with my family (partner + kids). The 457 visa looks ok but I assume i'd have to get that and work with an umbrella company in Oz.

Is there no way to start up a Pty Ltd? (saying that back to myself, I know that sounds daft and imaging how it would work the other way around, i.e. a non-UK resident coming to the UK to start a Limited Company!!!)

Trying to gain permanent residency looks possible while on a 457 visa - then I guess I could start a Pty Ltd after that.

northernladuk
13th February 2013, 19:17
What is with all the Oz threads at the moment?

autralia site:forums.contractoruk.com/business-contracts/

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1875948

IR35FanClub
13th February 2013, 21:09
What is with all the Oz threads at the moment?

autralia site:forums.contractoruk.com/business-contracts/

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1875948

Have you looked out the window lately? I got back from Afrilca in November and keep thinking why did I bother, it was 30 degrees and to hot to do anything except sit down between 12 and 3. I tried fixing a dvd player but broke into a horrendous sweat so gave up and did what the local do at that time... nothing. :)

i could have rented a house for 2 years with 1 months contracting income. Better still bought land and built 1 for less than a years income. I dont think ill be working past my 45th birthday the way my thought processes are going. All this in a place that was quite westernised and you can go and have a beer get a taxi, pop to the beach, Perfect.

d000hg
13th February 2013, 21:11
UK born and breadAnd UK educated by the sound of it too.

DaveB
13th February 2013, 21:17
UK born and bread

You won't get in, they have very strict rules about importing foodstuffs.

northernladuk
13th February 2013, 21:22
Have you looked out the window lately? I got back from Afrilca in November and keep thinking why did I bother, it was 30 degrees and to hot to do anything except sit down between 12 and 3. I tried fixing a dvd player but broke into a horrendous sweat so gave up and did what the local do at that time... nothing. :)

i could have rented a house for 2 years with 1 months contracting income. Better still bought land and built 1 for less than a years income. I dont think ill be working past my 45th birthday the way my thought processes are going. All this in a place that was quite westernised and you can go and have a beer get a taxi, pop to the beach, Perfect.

I have been looking out of the window for the 3 odd years I have been here and don't remember ever having 4 or so threads regarding Australia in as many days in that time hence my comment.

Where is 'Afrilca' anyway? Sounds nice.

Gonzo
13th February 2013, 21:35
I wondered if anyone here has done this recently. Looking for advice and experiences. This is just a thought in my mind at the mo, and probably won't happen for at least another year.

I'm currently living in the UK (resident) and would like to emmigrate to Australia with my family (partner + kids). The 457 visa looks ok but I assume i'd have to get that and work with an umbrella company in Oz.

Is there no way to start up a Pty Ltd? (saying that back to myself, I know that sounds daft and imaging how it would work the other way around, i.e. a non-UK resident coming to the UK to start a Limited Company!!!)

Trying to gain permanent residency looks possible while on a 457 visa - then I guess I could start a Pty Ltd after that.I can't help with Australia because I am not there but it sounds to me like you need to do more homework understanding employment and taxation arrangements in your new prospective home.

Things that work one way in the UK rarely work the same in other territories.

There is an active Australia forum on this website British Expatriate Community : British Expat Community (http://britishexpats.com/).

You might find someone there that understands where you are coming from but I don't read it so don't know how well they react to speculative requests for information.

northernladuk
13th February 2013, 21:49
I can't help with Australia because I am not there but it sounds to me like you need to do more homework understanding employment and taxation arrangements in your new prospective home.

Things that work one way in the UK rarely work the same in other territories.

There is an active Australia forum on this website British Expatriate Community : British Expat Community (http://britishexpats.com/).

You might find someone there that understands where you are coming from but I don't read it so don't know how well they react to speculative requests for information.

Probably about as well as we react to people who don't bother doing any research for themselves here :D

Gonzo
13th February 2013, 22:05
Probably about as well as we react to people who don't bother doing any research for themselves here :DI am in another one of the Dominions and for a number of business and taxation reasons you would not contract through a limited company here.

Having said that, we have a technical trainer who is based in Australia visiting to deliver four days work for our project next month and he does run that through an Australian company, so I think that suitable research is paramount.

BolshieBastard
14th February 2013, 11:42

Trying to gain permanent residency looks possible while on a 457 visa - then I guess I could start a Pty Ltd after that.

A colleague of mine did this just over 2 years ago. He applied to one of the adverts on JS for people to go to aus. He got a telephone interview to aus around midnight for an hour. Went through a few formalities and got told he'd got the job.

Family flew out and have been there ever since.

nomey
14th February 2013, 12:43

I'm currently waiting for my 457 visa to be approved and myself and my partner hope to flight out at the start of April.

As far as I understand if you got sponsored then you would have to be an employee of the company that sponsored you. I don't think there is anything to stop you applying for permanent residency while also being on the 457 visa. You could get your 457 and be an employee while waiting for your PR visa to be approved, after it's approved you should be able to set up a Pty and contract if you wanted.

Bear in mind that it's common practise for sponsoring companies to have a clause in the contracts that states if you leave within 2 years then you have to pay back any costs the company paid to sponsor and get you to Australia.

Sausage Surprise
14th February 2013, 13:06
I suggest you use your loaf......

I'll get my coat..:igmc:

kingcook
14th February 2013, 13:14
I'm currently waiting for my 457 visa to be approved and myself and my partner hope to flight out at the start of April.

As far as I understand if you got sponsored then you would have to be an employee of the company that sponsored you. I don't think there is anything to stop you applying for permanent residency while also being on the 457 visa. You could get your 457 and be an employee while waiting for your PR visa to be approved, after it's approved you should be able to set up a Pty and contract if you wanted.

Bear in mind that it's common practise for sponsoring companies to have a clause in the contracts that states if you leave within 2 years then you have to pay back any costs the company paid to sponsor and get you to Australia.

I've read that they do medical tests as part of the permanent residency application too, but that shouldn't be much of a problem as we're all in good health.

I could handle a couple of years being a permie over there (either for an employer or as an umbrella employee).

JoJoGabor
15th February 2013, 07:22
When I was there in 2005/6 contracting, my end client wanted to keep mean longer, so my agency, grey thorn sponsored me on a 457. So it meant if the end client didn't want me anymore they could find me another role.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can work through a ltd company over there. Not many tax efficient ways of working.

Mister Clark
15th February 2013, 11:44
Google "80/20 rule Australia".

I don't know what sort of rates contractors can get in Oz but when I was looking into it there was little tax advantage unless you can satisfy the criteria that put you outside - and from what I have read this is unlikely unless you are genuinely running a company with multiple clients, multiple employees and you own premises (you home does not count BTW).

Still, it's sunny most of the time and the exchange rate will favour you if your planning on coming back to Europe!

EDIT: Read this: http://contractortaxation.com/australia/taxation/80-20

kingcook
15th February 2013, 11:57
Google "80/20 rule Australia".

I don't know what sort of rates contractors can get in Oz but when I was looking into it there was little tax advantage unless you can satisfy the criteria that put you outside - and from what I have read this is unlikely unless you are genuinely running a company with multiple clients, multiple employees and you own premises (you home does not count BTW).

Still, it's sunny most of the time and the exchange rate will favour you if your planning on coming back to Europe!

EDIT: Read this: 80/20 Rule explained | Australia | Contractor Taxation (http://contractortaxation.com/australia/taxation/80-20)

Cheers. I'm aware of the 80/20 rule + the other tests (IMO a lot better than the IR35 shambles as it gives clear instructions as to who is caught and who is not.)

My main motivation for wanting to move over there is the climate (as is for most people), also the fact that everyone speaks English. I've ruled out America because it's full of Americans :laugh

kingcook
15th February 2013, 11:59
When I was there in 2005/6 contracting, my end client wanted to keep mean longer, so my agency, grey thorn sponsored me on a 457. So it meant if the end client didn't want me anymore they could find me another role.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can work through a ltd company over there. Not many tax efficient ways of working.

I wonder if it's any easier to start up a Pty Ltd if you're going to be a non-contracting business. I dunno, say I wanted to open up a chip shop for example. It would look a bit daft to go via an agent/umbrella co for that.

Mister Clark
15th February 2013, 12:48
Cheers. I'm aware of the 80/20 rule + the other tests (IMO a lot better than the IR35 shambles as it gives clear instructions as to who is caught and who is not.)

My main motivation for wanting to move over there is the climate (as is for most people), also the fact that everyone speaks English. I've ruled out America because it's full of Americans :laugh

Totally agree re IR35 - at least you have hard and fast rules (mostly). I'm <30 so I may go over on a working holiday visa and contract, but it won't be because of the tax advantages.

I've been to Oz 3 times but never worked and my motivation is similar to yours with the added bonuse of a better quality of life (IMHO)- however due to the exchange rate the money is also pretty good if you are coming back.

I'm lucky in that two guys I used to work for have moved back to Oz and now running large consultancies so should be able to source work, however I've also got an interview at the end of the month from a large Oz based consultancy who are sending their HR team to the UK on a recruitment drive so indicatively at least it would seem there is a skills shortage (at least in my area which is testing).

kingcook
15th February 2013, 13:11
Totally agree re IR35 - at least you have hard and fast rules (mostly). I'm <30 so I may go over on a working holiday visa and contract, but it won't be because of the tax advantages.

I've been to Oz 3 times but never worked and my motivation is similar to yours with the added bonuse of a better quality of life (IMHO)- however due to the exchange rate the money is also pretty good if you are coming back.

I'm lucky in that two guys I used to work for have moved back to Oz and now running large consultancies so should be able to source work, however I've also got an interview at the end of the month from a large Oz based consultancy who are sending their HR team to the UK on a recruitment drive so indicatively at least it would seem there is a skills shortage (at least in my area which is testing).

I've only been once with the family, and to visit family over there. Loved it. I know it'll be different if I lived over there though because i'd have to actually work all day instead of drinking beer all day :)

But it's all about the quality of life, not just for me but for my kids when they grow up to.

Good luck if/when you go anyway ;)

IR35FanClub
15th February 2013, 13:20
Where is 'Afrilca' anyway? Sounds nice.
Just down the round from Africa, between Afarchca and Afayca.

Its better though as they have a stable [but almost dictorial] government, electricity [sometimes] and roads that are tarmaced on the main roads - and as they don't have frost they seem to have less potholes than here. Beer is about £1 a pint, a main dinner in the touristy area £5 but if you go away from the beach and eat local food £1-2. Better known as Gambia. The only trouble is half of Europoeans over the age of 60 seem to have found out and are now living out there with their fat bellies on display. Gave me an idea though - I move there and open a gym with A/C on a backup UPS ;-)

JonSmile
15th February 2013, 22:26
On the 457 you need to be very careful.

It is a sponsored visa. If for some reason you fall out with the company you are working for and they sack you, you have to find a new sponsor and job within 28 days otherwise your visa is cancelled and you have to leave Australia.

kingcook
16th February 2013, 14:15
On the 457 you need to be very careful.

It is a sponsored visa. If for some reason you fall out with the company you are working for and they sack you, you have to find a new sponsor and job within 28 days otherwise your visa is cancelled and you have to leave Australia.

So i need to be company boy, no arguing with the client/boss until i get my PR processed and accepted :D

dimazigel
19th February 2013, 15:02
457 is a very bad visa. You have no access to Medicare, you must pay for school for your children, you have no rights for unemployment and child benefits and there is no guarantee that you get PR after 3 years with 457 visa.

I'm personally going to move to Australia. I got 176 visa.
I do really recommend to have a look at
Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa (http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-189/) or Skilled - Nominated (subclass 190) visa (http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-190/) visas

1xx visas give you PR status immediately you crossed an Australia border, however it is more bureaucratic to get it. For instance if you don't score enough points you must take IELTS exam even if you are English native speakers.

Regarding contracting, there is a PSI test legislation which more strict than IR35

ChimpMaster
19th February 2013, 21:00
Hmmm I've just been offered the chance to go work in NZ - it's a permie role but I don't think I could seriously consider working there because it'd be such a massive move for the family :eyes

kingcook
19th February 2013, 21:15
457 is a very bad visa. You have no access to Medicare, you must pay for school for your children, you have no rights for unemployment and child benefits and there is no guarantee that you get PR after 3 years with 457 visa.

I'm personally going to move to Australia. I got 176 visa.
I do really recommend to have a look at
Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa (http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-189/) or Skilled - Nominated (subclass 190) visa (http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-190/) visas

1xx visas give you PR status immediately you crossed an Australia border, however it is more bureaucratic to get it. For instance if you don't score enough points you must take IELTS exam even if you are English native speakers.

Regarding contracting, there is a PSI test legislation which more strict than IR35

The 189 and 190 look interesting. Will investigate further :D