• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've just got my first gig in the City

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just got my first gig in the City

I've done a fair few contracts in my time, but never within the square mile.
    I have to say it seems fairly "normal", in that the pace of work seems reasonable, and fellow workers aren't at your jugular all the time, which I thought was emblematic of working in the City.

I'm between St Pauls and Mansion House tube.

Any recommendations for semi-decent semi-healthy semi-fast eat-in lunch places there? I've already tried Wasabi in the One New Change shopping mall, and a "Ping Pong" sushi place that looked like it had cheap portions (until it became apparent that the portions were tiny and you're supposed to have four of them - a £18 quid bill )

Found the Bow Bells church, famous as the place where if you are born within earshot of its bells you are classed as a cockney, and the Guildhall, which I never knew existed.

Taking the circle line from Mansion House to Moorgate seems to take longer than walking it!

Is there anywhere you would recommend I avoid?

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    The cleaners' sluice room

Comment

Any recommendations for semi-decent semi-healthy semi-fast eat-in lunch places there? I've already tried Wasabi in the One New Change shopping mall, and a "Ping Pong" sushi place that looked like it had cheap portions (until it became apparent that the portions were tiny and you're supposed to have four of them - a £18 quid bill )
      It's to stop you turning into a fat bastard as if your client sites are like all mine someone is always bringing in cakes so you only need a light lunch most of the time.

More seriously I suggest you use the M&S's and Waitrose's around if you really want to have a decent feed at a reasonable price.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The square mile.

Oh wait....

If you baulk at paying £18 for lunch you're probably working in the wrong place.

There is a Japanese place on Gresham st called Tokyo City I've been to a few times that is OK, Miyako at Liverpool st is quite expensive, inside the station there is a place called Moshi Moshi that is much better value. This place (http://www.phamsushi.co.uk) is good but a bit of a stroll. Tajima-tei looks worth a look. I've not tried it myself but anywhere that does 8 pieces of mackerel sashimi is on the right track IMO. I'm over that way on Friday so I might check it out.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

No canteen?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've done a fair few contracts in my time, but never within the square mile.
            I have to say it seems fairly "normal", in that the pace of work seems reasonable, and fellow workers aren't at your jugular all the time, which I thought was emblematic of working in the City.

I'm between St Pauls and Mansion House tube.

Found the Bow Bells church, famous as the place where if you are born within earshot of its bells you are classed as a cockney, and the Guildhall, which I never knew existed.

Taking the circle line from Mansion House to Moorgate seems to take longer than walking it!

Congrats dude

Weird place to work though. Still technically still square mile. You have to break London yourself I'm afraid. Lunchtimes allocate 30 mins to walk in a new direction from the office, choose somewhere, and walk back and scoff it at your desk.

There used to be a firm called "Fuzzies" that went bust, but I'm informed on here that they are back in the game. Google it. If so then the breakfast doorsteps are legendary and so are the roast dinner sandwiches (Friday lunchtimes was my habit).

I must admit I know more about the pubs in your area, with a particular bent on real ale

Enjoy, explore! And lunch can be cheap, don't listen to Doodab, he's bitter and twisted (which I relate to )

Good luck bud!
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Fuzzy's was operating in Bouverie St, off Fleet St when I was working up in town last (2011).

Never ventured inside but some colleagues rated the roast dinner sarnies

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Bou...234.2,,0,-1.21

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Congrats dude

There used to be a firm called "Fuzzies" that went bust, but I'm informed on here that they are back in the game. Google it. If so then the breakfast doorsteps are legendary and so are the roast dinner sandwiches (Friday lunchtimes was my habit).

Good luck bud!
                Thank you. But it's not a massive cause for celebration as it's only a 6-week gig (forgot to say).
                Still, a gig is a gig, and who knows what extensions and extra work might be in the offing..

I googled Fuzzies, but that chain seemed to be closed down as you said. Brought up a link to one place called "Squat & Gobble"

Sadly there is no in-house canteen.

I might have to cook and eat a bob (reference to another thread)...

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
                  Fuzzy's was operating in Bouverie St, off Fleet St when I was working up in town last (2011).

Never ventured inside but some colleagues rated the roast dinner sarnies
                  Not even after you'd sold the last copy of your "Big Issue" workload?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Thank you. But it's not a massive cause for celebration as it's only a 6-week gig (forgot to say).
                    Still, a gig is a gig, and who knows what extensions and extra work might be in the offing..

I googled Fuzzies, but that chain seemed to be closed down as you said. Brought up a link to one place called "Squat & Gobble"

Sadly there is no in-house canteen.

I might have to cook and eat a bob (reference to another thread)...
                    My last 10 month gig was a 4 week stop-gap on a crappy rate. At the end of the third week I'd already got a £100 a day rate rise and a 3 month extension.

The market is tight, the players are moving cautiously. Your little 4 week gig has the potential to run and run. Head down, tail up, get on with it. Do what you do. Live up to the persona you created at interview, and not much more. Make friends. Become indispensible in 4 weeks. In the latter part of week 3 start speaking about what you would do if you had more time, send emails to that effect without sounding needy (try stating what your successor should do, write handover docs etc, the professionalism will bring a tear to the eye and an extension quicker than you can say keeeerchiiiiing)

Go, succeed, report back.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X