• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A sign of the times

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A sign of the times

Another dark day for the high street as John Lewis cuts jobs | Business | guardian.co.uk

On the face of it, it looks a tad gloomy but after having read the article it seems a very canny move in that JL are moving with the times and not sitting on their laurels.

Surely this is a sign of things to come
    In Scooter we trust

Been a funny few weeks really, lots of doom on the horizon and I hope JL is simply taking wise precautions and tightening up in what seems to be a very poor retail market. Heard lots of individuals talking about cutting back and being squeezed from all directions in terms of disposable income. Think we might be in for a big contraction, the worst kind of situation for us really, individuals with less money in their pockets leading to less money being spent, leading to job losses, leading to less money in the economy leading to etc etc. Things could easily get worse before they show any signs of getting better

Comment

You've got that right, I've seen the utility bills go up whilst still using the same amount and having a new boiler installed.

Also the Pound seemed to be taking a last week which can only mean it will be more costly to import goods
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        You've got that right, I've seen the utility bills go up whilst still using the same amount and having a new boiler installed.

Also the Pound seemed to be taking a last week which can only mean it will be more costly to import goods
        Doomed
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Inflation still "stubbornly high", yup cost of goods going up due to the pound being battered, think I heard basics like rice and grain going to take a hike due to poor crop yields. We're dooooooooomed

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            Inflation still "stubbornly high", yup cost of goods going up due to the pound being battered, think I heard basics like rice and grain going to take a hike due to poor crop yields. We're dooooooooomed
            Let them eat pig.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
              Been a funny few weeks really, lots of doom on the horizon and I hope JL is simply taking wise precautions and tightening up in what seems to be a very poor retail market. Heard lots of individuals talking about cutting back and being squeezed from all directions in terms of disposable income. Think we might be in for a big contraction, the worst kind of situation for us really, individuals with less money in their pockets leading to less money being spent, leading to job losses, leading to less money in the economy leading to etc etc. Things could easily get worse before they show any signs of getting better
              Yup, despite the inflation rate supposedly being 2.7% I reckon all the signs are that deflation has been underway for several months and is gaining pace.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Ouch! Good reading - thanks.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Let them eat pig.
                - my garden is big enough for a few of those. We'll be fine if the lot collapses!

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Yup, despite the inflation rate supposedly being 2.7% I reckon all the signs are that deflation has been underway for several months and is gaining pace.
                Not good. Scary times indeed. Potentially 2007/08 was a walk in the park...

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Did you sign up?
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Let them eat horse.
                    FTFY
                    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                    X