• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Serious medical question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious medical question

I know there are a few CUK medical experts out there. Wondering oif you could help me with this...

My missus has been suffering from what's turned out to be a stuck gallstone. Basically it needs removing via a procedure called ERCP which, AFAIK is some kind of endoscopic device.

Without going into all the details of how long it has taken just to get this diagnosis (several A&E visits & misdiagnoses from GP) she was given a date of 18 Feb to have the procedure last Friday. Given the level of discomfort she is in, this seemed an unbearable amount of time to wait. Then she took a turn for the worst on Monday & has been in hospital since but they said they hoped to remove the stone & gall bladder in one fell swoop with keyhole surgery. Now they've just said they won't be doing the op & that the original ERCP will be put back to 25 Feb & they're sending her home to spend another 10 days in agony not being able to eat.

The rational behind this is that this procedure is also used for heart patients so she is continually getting bumped by these more urgent cases. Going privately doesn't make any difference as you have to get it done in the local NHS hospital & you have to get past the same gatekeepers.

So, my question is, does anyone know of anywhere in the UK (or Europe) where we could just turn up with a credit card & get her booked in to get this thing done within a couple of days?

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    I know there are a few CUK medical experts out there. Wondering oif you could help me with this...

My missus has been suffering from what's turned out to be a stuck gallstone. Basically it needs removing via a procedure called ERCP which, AFAIK is some kind of endoscopic device.

Without going into all the details of how long it has taken just to get this diagnosis (several A&E visits & misdiagnoses from GP) she was given a date of 18 Feb to have the procedure last Friday. Given the level of discomfort she is in, this seemed an unbearable amount of time to wait. Then she took a turn for the worst on Monday & has been in hospital since but they said they hoped to remove the stone & gall bladder in one fell swoop with keyhole surgery. Now they've just said they won't be doing the op & that the original ERCP will be put back to 25 Feb & they're sending her home to spend another 10 days in agony not being able to eat.

The rational behind this is that this procedure is also used for heart patients so she is continually getting bumped by these more urgent cases. Going privately doesn't make any difference as you have to get it done in the local NHS hospital & you have to get past the same gatekeepers.

So, my question is, does anyone know of anywhere in the UK (or Europe) where we could just turn up with a credit card & get her booked in to get this thing done within a couple of days?
    Have you thought about nipping across the Irish Sea?

They could use the money.

Comment

Thought the procedure was to smash the gall or kidney stones with ultrasound

Try these if they are near you

HTH
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Can't help, but it sounds horrible, whatever it is
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Have you tried making a proper fuss? Threaten to sell your story to the tabloids etc etc

Sounds like you've been to reasonable up til now. If I were in agony the last thing I'd want is a flight somewhere.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            Thought the procedure was to smash the gall or kidney stones with ultrasound

Try these if they are near you

HTH
            That's what I call a result!

Just rang them and fingers crossed they can do it tomorrow - all depending on the local NHS hospital being able to offer her a bed for recovery as they don't have any available in Bristol.

Edit: You must spread some around before giving it to Troll again

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Have you tried making a proper fuss? Threaten to sell your story to the tabloids etc etc

Sounds like you've been to reasonable up til now. If I were in agony the last thing I'd want is a flight somewhere.
            I'll be making a fuss if they throw a spanner in the works by not letting her have a bed for a few hours tomorrow!

Comment

I do hope it all goes okay. Sounds horrible and in my opinion NHS should offer an operation immediately. Quite why we pay so much into the system but cannot expect an immediate help is something I do not know.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Thought the procedure was to smash the gall or kidney stones with ultrasound ...
                WHS

Worse case is that delays could cause obstruction and infection, which could start affecting her kidneys.

It sounds like some jobsworth administrator is pissing you around to show themself in a good light, and that _is_ how they are perceived by their administrator bosses the more people they can fob off. You need to go in to the outpatients and literally start shouting, until a supervisor or someone with medical training appears to find out what all the fuss is about.

Honestly, make a scene - It can get quick results, and I know because I've done it

Jeez, and people think I'm a bit eccentric, mad even, for wanting the NHS to be privatized.

edit: Oh and P.S. be sure to vote UKIP at the next election, regardless, for the best chance of reducing the number of foreigners clogging up the NHS!
                Last edited by OwlHoot; 14 February 2013, 17:25.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Hope all goes well for Mrs W.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                    That's what I call a result!

Just rang them and fingers crossed they can do it tomorrow - all depending on the local NHS hospital being able to offer her a bed for recovery as they don't have any available in Bristol.

Edit: You must spread some around before giving it to Troll again

I'll be making a fuss if they throw a spanner in the works by not letting her have a bed for a few hours tomorrow!
                    Good luck to the missus for tomorrow.
                    (Troll has been repped on your behalf)
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                    X