• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

10 years of references

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 years of references

I have just got off a call for a month contract where I would have to cough up 10 years of references!

I've not been contracting long but is this normal? I don't think I could produce 10 years of rerferences. I just said I was not interested, sounds too much hassle for 1 month contract that was not even a great rate anyhow.

Sounds like they are fishing for leads. Would take them longer than a month to get in touch with them!

Comment

According to your post history you have been contracting since before Oct 2010

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-agencies.html

You then said a year later you have not been contracting long..

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1379091

and again 2+ years later you say you have not been contracting long..
      In fact you have used the exact same phrase 6 times over the last couple of years.

Crap sockie. Retire it.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 14 February 2013, 15:56.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Wow - well spotted!
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I don't see that as being long contracting not especially as people on here have been contracting for many many years more than that.

Normally when I tell people I have only been contracting a few years I get 'oh not long then'.

I normally say I have not been doing it that long if I'm asking some questions as I know a lot of people on here will jump on it like how can you ask something so stupid and how can you not know! I'm still learning a lot about contracting and if in 2 years you should be an expert sorry about that.

Comment

Originally posted by robin View Post
            I don't see that as being long contracting not especially as people on here have been contracting for many many years more than that.

Normally when I tell people I have only been contracting a few years I get 'oh not long then'.

I normally say I have not been doing it that long if I'm asking some questions as I know a lot of people on here will jump on it like how can you ask something so stupid and how can you not know! I'm still learning a lot about contracting and if in 2 years you should be an expert sorry about that.
            I'll get your coat.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Was Robin not a Russell re-incarnation ??
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Wow. That was surely a tiny bit harsh!

One person accused them of being a sockie and BAM a ban.

Comment

Not totally convinced that it's a sockie.

If it isn't, then if you are going for a security cleared roll, then I could imagine that you'll to provide 10 years of employment history etc when applying for security clearance. I can't remember what they ask for exactly off hand.

However, that's not the same as references and you wouldn't normally be asked until you actually had the roll in the bag. So if it's ten years history just to apply for the roll, then it's a fishing exercise and if the agency is one of the the S3 companies then Andy Hallett would be very pleased to hear from you

---edit---
                  OP was banned while I was typing so I'm sure that TPTB know something that I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
                    Not totally convinced that it's a sockie.

If it isn't, then if you are going for a security cleared roll, then I could imagine that you'll to provide 10 years of employment history etc when applying for security clearance. I can't remember what they ask for exactly off hand.

However, that's not the same as references and you wouldn't normally be asked until you actually had the roll in the bag. So if it's ten years history just to apply for the roll, then it's a fishing exercise and if the agency is one of the the S3 companies then Andy Hallett would be very pleased to hear from you

---edit---
                    OP was banned while I was typing so I'm sure that TPTB know something that I don't.
                    Last time I went for SC it was 5 years if memory serves. Maybe DV or X is longer.

Comment

Working...
                    X