• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First time contracting and need some URGENT advise plz

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys

First post here so please go easy.

So here it goes.
    My employer goes into administration while keeping very few people and making rest redundant. I was one lucky to survive. I work as a designer btw. Asked me to sign new contract under their another company if I want to stay, fair enough. At the same time I have been approached by recruiter who offered 6 month contract in big organization with £200 a day agreed between us. He arranged 2 interviews with the his client and finally gave me news that I have got the job. but only it will start on 18th feb instead 1st feb as previously told. He begged me not to sign the new contract (1st feb due date) with my existing employer as they need me in 2 weeks time and new contract bound me into 1 month notice. So basically I did not signed the contract with my employer and became jobless.

Now since recruiter confirmed the job on 1st of Feb, I am keep asking if I have got the job at least give me contract or confirmation, but for unknown reason recruiter telling me almost on daily bases that he will get it this afternoon, tomorrow morning, end of day today, just to be told following day that his client which happens to be large organization IT is too slow to add him in to their contracting system so he can get paid. Since I will be invoicing recruiter and he will to his client. He also said that I will be starting job definitely on 18th which is tomorrow, just to be told on friday that it may be 19th now and he will send me contract on 18th.

Sorry for long post guys, but I am completely gone mental, I have no job from last 18 days, yet no proof that I have got the contracting role a part from daily reassurance from recruiter and 2 very successful interviews with the company.

Can any experienced contractor please shed some light, what could be happening. I know I have shot myself in the foot not to sign the renewal contract with existing employer.

Is he trying to negotiate his rates with the company? Or what he keep explaining to me could be genuine? Can I contact the company directly and ask what is happening?

Really appreciate your input fellows.

Best
    Saad

It's very simple.

You haven't got the contract until you get the contract in front of you for review and signing (and sometimes not even then). Agent's promises mean NOTHING. They will say anything to keep you on the hook for a possible job then drop you like a hot stone if the contract does not come their way.

If you have a real contract somewhere else take that.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

The contract may come to something, but it probably won't. I'd start looking for other options now. Unfortunately this kind of thing happens far too often.

Hope you get something sorted.

Comment

I presume you have a limited company set up, a bank account and have read all the newbie guides about what you should be doing before and after signing the contract?

You are not a permie now so you have to have a massive change of mentality and will need to grow some very quickly.

Are you sure contracting is the way you want to go?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

6 month contract in big organization with £200 a day agreed between us
          You'd cry if you knew what rate the agent had agreed between themselves and the organisation.

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
            You'd cry if you knew what rate the agent had agreed between themselves and the organisation.
            and how little he gives a stuff about your situation....
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I know what you're all thinking but its really sad when agents do this people....

OK. OP might have been a bit naive but it appears hes acted with best intentions and integrity.
              As per others, it looks like gig was never signed off at the time and agent had lied just to keep hold of of the candidate preventing him from going back to permie. And hoping it would get all sorted.

Hope it does for OPs sake. If it doesn't agent has just lost the gig, and OP remains jobless. I do wonder sometimes how agents who act like this can sleep at night knowing their pissing around with peoples lives in the pursuit of commission.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I agree with you PC, and it's happened to the most experienced of us (particularly when you really want the contract to be true.. ).
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by saad View Post
                  I have no job from last 18 days, yet no proof that I have got the contracting role a part from daily reassurance from recruiter and 2 very successful interviews with the company.

Can any experienced contractor please shed some light, what could be happening.
                  Ahh, they dick people around like this sometimes. They will string you along waiting for the budget to be signed off or some such. There isn't much you can do really, it happens sometimes and that's for permies as well as contractors.

Keep looking for other opportunities, keep your options open and remember that a verbal offer isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Good luck
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Until the ink is dry....

Comment

Working...
                    X