• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Peer-to-peer lending

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peer-to-peer lending

I'm thinking of having a go at using one of the peer-to-peer lending sites. I've got five grand I could lend out to try to get a better rate of interest than I could get in a savings account. I could probably lend it out for 2 or 3 years.

Would I be likely to get a decent return?

Is it too risky?

Have any of you tried this?

What does the panel think?

Cheers,
    Jeff

I've heard of this but I don't know how it works. Mainly, what security would you have on the loan?

Without the bother and expense of proper due diligence, establishing collateral, and a big stick, I'd be awfully worried about my money, even if it were lent to someone I knew.

Comment

Have used Zopa and Ratesetter. Removed money from Ratesetter as I felt they were not getting enough business and could be a possible fail at some point.

Zopa is Ok & you get a good return with them(better than the high street), but it's not tax free and you have to declare it. I was getting about 5.5 after debts (which actually I had none), whereas I understand DimPrawn is getting 45% because he's full of bull.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
        I'm thinking of having a go at using one of the peer-to-peer lending sites. I've got five grand I could lend out to try to get a better rate of interest than I could get in a savings account. I could probably lend it out for 2 or 3 years.

Would I be likely to get a decent return?

Is it too risky?

Have any of you tried this?

What does the panel think?

Cheers,
        Jeff
        Use £5K to lend out on council estates. Use the remainder £1k to hire a Romanian to break their legs if they don't pay up.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Thanks for the replies. What happens about tax? I don't really want to be arsed doing a self-assessment tax return every year just to get few quid more interest on my savings. I thought I'd escaped from that chore when I went permie!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. What happens about tax? I don't really want to be arsed doing a self-assessment tax return every year just to get few quid more interest on my savings. I thought I'd escaped from that chore when I went permie!
            Overheads? Phone, adverts, meeting.... come on boy!
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I doubt very much it's possible, but it would be very cool if you could do this from inside an ISA.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I went permie!
                BURN HIM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moneysavingexpert is probably a better place to ask.

Comment

Just noticed this post from ages ago. I have some surplus money in the business account and wanted to know whether anyone has invested this in peer to peer lending? I realise there is no cover against losses but risks using something like Zopa or Ratesetter seem minimal. I have £30k currently in an easy access Aldermore business savings account but fancy something a bit more risky for up to £20k of further funds. I'm looking for something relatively short term (3-6 months) to try and keep my options open and potentially allow me to get the money back before the end of the tax year. Anyone done this and got any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I doubt very much it's possible, but it would be very cool if you could do this from inside an ISA.
                    Am I right thinking that it soon WILL be possible within an ISA? I had a thread about this around a year ago but never got into it. Maybe time to look again as I have some cash waiting to buy a house once ours sells.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X