• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New client problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New client problems

I have been contracting/consulting for quite a few years now but I seem to be running into problems with the new contract.

I have been there a week.

I will just list the problems.

Agency, they are usually a problem, guy lied to and threatened me with better sign the contract right now or they will find someone else. I just ignored him as I knew the client wouldn't be ready until after the holiday.

The eager client starts pushing back my start date. Ended up pushing it back 2 weeks.

I worked the first week doing the 40 hours that were expected. The manager comes tells me I can only work 30 hours until he gets more for the budget. He doesn't know when that will be,

On the first day I told him I had some other clients. I told him I need 2 days off this week for a another client and to speak at a convention. These are things that were already planned and couldn't change them. I had rearranged everything else to make it fit.

The client was not happy at all with this. He kept sending me texts during my golive to "CALL HIM!!!" I finally shut my phone off. So when I had the chance to call back, he said I never said anything to the lead about taking those days off. He was quite nasty about it. I said of course I did as that is how you found out and sent out an email about me speaking to the company.

The work itself is simple but the lead wants to micromanage and talk down to me.

How should I handle this client? I didn't start my own company to be in a situation like this. If I wanted to have every move monitored and have to raise my hand to go to the toilet, I would have stayed an employee.

Simple. Walk.

Comment

Originally posted by snarfblat View Post
      I didn't start my own company to be in a situation like this. If I wanted to have every move monitored and have to raise my hand to go to the toilet, I would have stayed an employee.
      I think you've answered your own question...

Explain very clearly how you will work. (Attempting to influence the situation) and if nothing changes either accept it and suck it up or move on.

The decision is yours.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Only thing I would say is, it would be worth mentioning the required days off before you arrive on site and in writing.

Needing days off on the first week with no notice isn't ideal.

Agreed though, I generally wouldn't put up with this from a client.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Simple. Walk.
          +1 especially as it seems they lied to you before starting. If they didn't have a budget for the correct number of hours a week then that should have been stated well before you began.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Personally I make a point of detailing any days I know I can't provide services for at the point of signing the contract (and during renewal discussions), and whilst it may not be in the form of a signed document I keep an email from the PM/Agent confirming they have been made aware of my availability - I never ask for time off

I'd try everything in an attempt to rescue the relationship as I hate closing the door on any client, however they do sound to be particularly difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Murder1 View Post
              Personally I make a point of detailing any days I know I can't provide services for at the point of signing the contract (and during renewal discussions), and whilst it may not be in the form of a signed document I keep an email from the PM/Agent confirming they have been made aware of my availability - I never ask for time off

I'd try everything in an attempt to rescue the relationship as I hate closing the door on any client, however they do sound to be particularly difficult.
              Do they ever listen though when you tell them about availability? I had an interview once, and got offered. Told the client I had hol booked (for 2 months time), told the agent, reminded the client, reminded the agent, almost signed the contract and though I'd better get it in writing at least.

All of a sudden NO we need you these weeks. They were deliberately playing dull until I pushed the point hoping I'd start and then they could play funny buggers and put the pressure on.

I stood firm and said forget it them. Surprisingly, they did but I got another gig lined up anyway.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Do they ever listen though when you tell them about availability? I had an interview once, and got offered. Told the client I had hol booked (for 2 months time), told the agent, reminded the client, reminded the agent, almost signed the contract and though I'd better get it in writing at least.

All of a sudden NO we need you these weeks. They were deliberately playing dull until I pushed the point hoping I'd start and then they could play funny buggers and put the pressure on.

I stood firm and said forget it them. Surprisingly, they did but I got another gig lined up anyway.
                Perhaps I've been lucky as I've had a couple of responses which follow a pattern of "thanks for telling us, we'll factor that in". Granted if it's within the first few weeks of starting a role I can imagine they would be less inclined to take you on if you make them aware at the interview stage.

It always feels like a delicate balancing act between behaving like an independent consultant in not asking for time off like a permie, but also showing a concern for the project. You maybe get some clients like I've had who manage it and others like the OP's who don't.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback.

I will go in tomorrow and see how it goes. I imagine he will want to talk to me and hopefully can straighten things out.

I don't believe they were listening when I told him this on day one. He had to have known or he would not have sent the email telling everyone I was speaking at the convention. I said I had 2 days and he said it was ok and now he is pretending like he didn't know. He is acting like I lied to him and I really don't like being accused of lying.

I am glad this contract is short as I wasn't too keen about working on site the entire time like a permie in the first place.

I will see how things go and if he continues to be difficult I will just politely say I don't think my services are suitable to your company and end it.

Comment

Originally posted by snarfblat View Post
                    I will go in tomorrow and see how it goes. I imagine he will want to talk to me and hopefully can straighten things out.
                    When you are taking time off during a contract, first agree it verbally and then follow immediately with an email summarising your conversation - including the fact that they have accepted that you will be off. If it's not in writing then they can deny everything at a later date and try and make you look bad when it's their cockup or lack of planning.

Could just be one of those clients who are difficult to deal with but it's business at the end of the day so try and sort out your differences if at all possible. I had an argument with the missus the other day, that doesn't mean I'm going to shoot her. Likewise, you should try not to dump a business opportunity just because the client is a bit of a PITA.

Good luck!
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X