• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Barclays Alternative with Crunch?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Barclays Alternative with Crunch?

For the second time in 3 years Barclays have messed up my account. I have a black hole in my statement history, I think caused by me changing my address and their system deciding I no longer require online statements, but failing to start sending me paper statements. I know I can request a copy statement, normally for £5 – but I will insist it’s free as I’m reporting a defect! However this is simple simple stuff that is beyond my level of tolerance for dealing with companies. What the point of a bank account that you can’t tell how much money you had at a point in time. I would do monthly bank recon but for 3 transactions it is hardly justified.

I never liked their online site as the current transaction history is only a month and a bit, so I’ve got between End of Nov and Start of Jan Missing. Stupid really – I only have about 3 transactions a month, if they kept ALL my history or say the last 100 transactions, I might still be a customer next month. It's not like I'm BP or someone with a lot of transactions!

I’ve got option 1 as Carter Allen as I do my accounting with Crunch and they’ve got a feed to pull in the bank statements automatically. As useful as that its, it’s not going to be my prime consideration for a switch. I’m after:

A top notch transaction history than has user definable exports (to get them into crunch). Specifically the .csv or whatever must feature date, reference no, transaction amount and balance. (Barclays export doesn’t have balance so no use for reconciling!)
    Simple to navigate website that doesn’t have such a bad design you can easily send your salary to HMRC because there’s a a default payee.. sorted alphabetically. I should change my name to Aaandrew! Done it once when doing the accounts late at night and was tired! Fair play – HMRC sent it back – by cheque – 3 weeks later. LOL.
    Ideally doesn’t require a bit of card with a customer reference number on it AND card reader to be able to get to my account. I.e a username and a password would do me. Card reader if necessary, but not the 12 digit reference number too!
    Easily setup of a reserve account that bears interest and can transfer back and forth with no penalty.
    Leaves me alone and doesn’t spam with lots of “Why don’t you pay £1000 a year for our other business services” type messages.

Anyone else got a better suggestion?

(And yes NLUK I googled the other threads – I’m after specific responses to my point above ;-)

Cheers
    Signed sealed and delivered.

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
    (And yes NLUK I googled the other threads – I’m after specific responses to my point above ;-)

Cheers
    You da man... forgot to close your brackets though....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've had no complaints with Cater Allen, who are the only folk I've ever had business banking experience with.

Their online banking is ok, I do my book keeping every three months (I know ) and there is more than enough transaction history there.

They have passcode and password authentication (both required) but no card reader so far.

Not sure about the no penalty reserve, you need a fair bit in your account for them to pay you anything (over £150k IIRC), but they do fixed term bonds which offer a fair (not stellar) rate.

I would avoid Barclays on principle - primarily since they are shyster twats who screwed me over when I was a student (grudges me?).
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Crunch can read the HSBC statements I feed into them.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
        X