• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Realistic rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Realistic rates

Apologies for pouring cold water on all the wit and repartee that I see prevails nowadays but here's a simple enough question.

Assuming your earning a salary in the mid £30K's what's a reasonable hourly rate to make it worthwhile going freelance?

A quick bit of fiddling on Excel suggests a rate of around £40 per hour assuming I work 80% of the time and am away from home during the week costing £2,000 a month (travel, subsistence and accommodation).

Is contracting really worth the hassle?

Originally posted by HarryPearce
    Obviously not!
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Try reading the boards/searching before asking repetitive questions:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread8628.html
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPearce
        If you think it is hassle then TLG has answered it for you
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

£2000 per month on costs?!?! Where do you live, the Outer Hebrides?
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

It's not always about the money. Yes, on a decent rate and without extended breaks you will make a lot more as a contractor.

It's not just about that though. You also get to pick and choose where and when you work. You dont have to worry about the office politics, back biting and insecurity of the permie world. No wondering what your going to get in your next pay rise, if you even get one, no performance reviews, no gang bang interviews for a grotty internal promotion.

Look at it that way and suddenly the hassle, such as it is becomes a lot less of an issue.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

30k You're probs looking at lower more like £25 - 30 hour I think. I've been contracting for 8 years and would never go perm. yuk dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect
                Try reading the boards/searching before asking repetitive questions:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread8628.html

Comment

What happened to the Avatar then Joe? was it copyrighted?
                  "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

You'll never make enough money contracting to match a permie on £30K a yr.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X