• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

closing power stations but promoting electric cars?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

closing power stations but promoting electric cars?

I hear today that a few power stations are to be closed this year and so reducing our electricity generating capacity, yet the next news was that the government is promoting electric cars!

Where is the electric going to come from?

BBC News - Energy watchdog Ofgem chief warns of bill rises

Electric Cars: Charging Points To Boost Sales
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Changing to all these more efficient lights and TVs; better insulated houses; all these people with solar panels.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Check those UPS batteries folks, the time has come to gather the piano wire.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

My car has its own, built-in petrol generator. So I'm okay.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I expect horse drawn carriages will make a come back now we're no longer going to make them into burgers.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Re: closing power stations but promoting electric cars?

Shutting power stations has been on the cards for a number of years now.
            But the recession has severely reduced need.
            But not by enough when you consider the amount of stations closing.

I hope you all have lots of candles! Oh plan B!

Prices will be going up by a lot more to fund new power stations, although quite a few new gas ones have been built to in the last few years.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
            Beer
            is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Looks like the petrol generators I bought a couple of years ago are going to come in handy, like.

I wonder if I can convert one to run off lpg.
              Wouldn't you be better with a diesel genny - that way you could justify buying red diesel ... and <ahem> all the options that goes with that
              (a mere joke m'lud)
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Combined heat and power. It's the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
                  Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
                  WGAS
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

This failure to act and start building more power stations now will probably come to be seen as one of the worst failures of this government. And there's certainly plenty to choose from.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X