• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suitable gift for Chinese colleague? Advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suitable gift for Chinese colleague? Advice needed

I had a recent business trip to China and was rather embarrassed when the (female) colleague I was visiting presented me with a gift and I had nothing to reciprocate. Her gift was a large bag of Chinese savoury snacks, so nothing elaborate, but a literal "taste of China". Probably cost her £5.

I'm seeing her again shortly and would like to redress the balance by buying her something typically English, business appropriate and that wasn't made in China!

Any ideas from you well travelled cosmopolitans?

Question for the CUK ladies, are there any typically English toiletry products (perhaps like Molten Brown) that you could recommend? Not Yardley!

Tetley Tea?
    Cadbury's Chocolate
    A Jaguar Saloon

And for something CMD hasn't been spouting about:

Horse Kebab?

Seriously I would suggest English Muffins / Scones + Jam.
    Or Walkers crisps

both go down really well with some of our European friends who can't get them in country.
    Last edited by vetran; 19 February 2013, 11:01. Reason: forgot crisps
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Chinese Gift Symbolism, Gift-Giving, Gift Advice, Taboos

Help with Giving Gifts in China
      Do not give knives, scissors as they symbolize breaking a relationship. Also avoid clocks, or anything in sets of four (four is an unlucky number as it sounds like “death”). Six, eight and nine are a lucky numbers.
      For business relations, foreign cigarettes, cognac, fine whiskey, and quality wines are great gift ideas.
      Insider Tip: If you know that your contact likes chocolate, consider bringing some high-end chocolate, as Chinese chocolate is waxy and lacks flavor. Anything you can get at a Western market or grocery story will suffice, but specialty chocolate will be sure to leave a lasting impression.
      Chinese avoid giving each other clocks as gifts are because the phrase “give a clock as a gift” is “song zhong”, which in Chinese sounds like you are “wishing someone death.” This does not apply to watches, just clocks.
      Never slice a pear in two and offer a half to someone (especially if you like them). This is symbolic of breaking up, because the phrase is “li kai”, which has the double meaning of “cut a pear” and “break up”.

Gifts of Love in China
      If you love someone, you can buy them a belt. It means that you want to “hold them” forever! Watches and wallets are also good gifts for lovebirds. Traditional western “love” gifts (like chocolate and roses) are becoming more common.
      Insider Tip: For the Mid-Autumn Festival, or “Zhong Qiu Jie”, (roughly falls in September) you should give a box of moon cake and give walnuts.

White Chrysanthemums should never be given as a gift. They are used in funerals. Avoid white flowers in general.
      A flower arrangement is an acceptable gift, but never give white chrysanthemums, or any white flowers for that matter, as they are traditionally used for funerals.
      Giving an apple basket is nice because apple, or “ping guo”, sounds like peace.
      If someone has just moved into a new house, it would be appropriate to give a vase, or “hua ping”, as it also sounds like peace.
      Insider Tip: If someone opens a store or starts a business, give the bamboo flower or “shui zhu” as a gift. By giving this gift, as represented by the many rings in the bamboo stem, you are wishing them continual growth and income.
      Gifts can be wrapped or presented in a gift bag, but do not choose the color white. Red and gold are the best colors for gift paper, bags, or boxes.
      HTH
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

A tiger's penis.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

raid the stationary cupboard!

HTH BIDI
          Join IPSE

Comment

Frau D. works in Frankfurt Airport and the 2 largest selling items to Chinese are German cigarettes and Haribo sweets (Gummibär, Colorado, etc., the shop has all different types and they go gaga for all the variations)
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              A tiger's penis.
              I'm afraid I'm not available.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

A book on hacking?

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  HTH
                  Thanks, but she's teetotal.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Frau D. works in Frankfurt Airport and the 2 largest selling items to Chinese are German cigarettes and Haribo sweets (Gummibär, Colorado, etc., the shop has all different types and they go gaga for all the variations)
                    Nice idea. If only this wasn't do expensive:

Union Jack Fine Chocolate Selection

Comment

Working...
                    X