• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perm jobbie offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perm jobbie offer

Good evening friends,

Should I accept a perm () role in today's climate.

Thanks for any advice given.

one day at a time

Yes, if you like the role, the money is okay and you feel you will be challenged.

If you are @rsekicker programme guru level, then their money seems to be higher than ever, but for the majority of us mere mortals, there is too much instability with low rates to make this seem like a long term viable option.

I was seriously messed about a few months ago when I was looking for a contract, even asked to take tests along with the permies and eventually told I was too good.

What is the role and location like - is it a long term viable commute?

Comment

If you even have to consider it then the answer has to be yes.

Get in there, camp on the boss for training courses, pick the projects and technology you want to have a piece of, do every CBT the company owns and then next year double your rate.

Call it a sabbatical rather than the end of contracting.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post
        Yes, if you like the role, the money is okay and you feel you will be challenged.

What is the role and location like - is it a long term viable commute?
        Very local; learning new skills. Good salary working on very large datasets, customer insight sector. Growing company, hours are rather long...

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Good advice.

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
          Growing company, hours are rather long...

Provided the long hours are fulfilling and not face time, sounds like a good deal. If face time, that will have to get managed. I left late at 3:45pm this afternoon.

Growing company gets me nervous though - as in tin-pot, or long term firm with change of direction?

Comment

Exhibit A
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I've had a few amazing permie offers this year but found that it can be quite expensive to extract yourself from contracting.

With accrued tax bills, directors loans, retained income etc it can be quite expensive to switch to permie and clean up your LTD CO, especially after taking a pay cut and moving to PAYE.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                If you even have to consider it then the answer has to be yes.

Get in there, camp on the boss for training courses, pick the projects and technology you want to have a piece of, do every CBT the company owns and then next year double your rate.

Must admit, I had a tempting discussion this afternoon - wouldn't see it as the end by any means, just a good way to move into something slightly different which will earn higher day rates when I come back.

Not 100% convinced by any means - will see what tomorrow's discussions bring.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

There is always the option of sharpening a spoon on a stone and using it to gouge a hole in your own face.

If you're really desperate.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
                    Good evening friends,

Should I accept a perm () role in today's climate.

Thanks for any advice given.

There are always contracts around - today's climate is the same as it has been in the past 5 years with obvious peaks and troughs throughout - have you been struggling to find contracts during this time ?

Comment

Working...
                    X