• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Powering a garage/shed without connecting to mains power

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powering a garage/shed without connecting to mains power

A question for the electrical types here... if you have a garage shed which cannot practically/affordably be hooked up to the mains, is it feasible to add enough power to have lighting? e.g. a car battery hooked up to a solar panel, that kind of thing, and either low-voltage lighting or perhaps using an inverter?

I'd quite like to use the garage at our new house as a gym but it's over the road, has no windows and I don't want to have to leave the door open for the world to watch... plus in the winter months indoor lighting is a must anyway.

All kinds of Heath Robinson approaches are welcome, ideas on costings are helpful
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    A question for the electrical types here... if you have a garage shed which cannot practically/affordably be hooked up to the mains, is it feasible to add enough power to have lighting? e.g. a car battery hooked up to a solar panel, that kind of thing, and either low-voltage lighting or perhaps using an inverter?

I'd quite like to use the garage at our new house as a gym but it's over the road, has no windows and I don't want to have to leave the door open for the world to watch... plus in the winter months indoor lighting is a must anyway.

All kinds of Heath Robinson approaches are welcome, ideas on costings are helpful
    This sounds suspiciously like an eco-shed.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

A mini wind farm and a storage battery?
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

You'll need a tweed jacket, a pipe, some rulers and a set of biro's and pencils, one pencil stuck handily behind your ear and the rest in your shirt pocket. From time to time, puff the pipe and look pensive; you'll attract a bunch of geniusses who'll believe you're going to develop some revolutionary technology, and they can then solve your problem for you.

Comment

Daft question but what do you mean "cannot practically/affordably be hooked up to the mains", its nothing more complicated that creating a spur from your consumer unit and running the 3 core cable to the shed where you have another Miniature Circuit Breaker.
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Daft question but what do you mean "cannot practically/affordably be hooked up to the mains", its nothing more complicated that creating a spur from your consumer unit and running the 3 core cable to the shed where you have another Miniature Circuit Breaker.
              See what I mean now?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                This sounds suspiciously like an eco-shed.
                Yes but for purposes of practicality not environmental guilt so it's OK.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Yes but he did say that the garage is on the other side of the road ...

Comment

he said its over the road, its not going to be viable to dig the road up is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X