• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

question for shimano

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question for shimano

A question for Shimano, and anyone else who knows about bikes: Just how hard is it to break the axle bar going through the bottom bracket and joins the two crank arms together?

'Cause I've broken it on one of my bikes, and now my knees really hurt, and I had to walk for fscking miles to get back home.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Some pictures

Comment

It should be very difficult, never heard of that one before - was it a cheapo?

The axle is the heaviest part of the BB and is usually over built from steel for strength.

How heavy are you.....?

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105
        How heavy are you.....?
        Who ate all the pies, who ate all the pies ...
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Serious thread

HI threaded,

I am an avid cyclist myself and the same thing has happened to me. Basically I think that any sort of corrosion caused mainly by rain snow etc weakens the metal and then it will bend and then break. You can feel when its going to happen because the peddling gets dodgy about 10 km beforehand

You can change the part but I found that I couldnt get the remaining bit of the axlwe out of the frame. I went to Halfords and asked them to try and they couldnt do it either, but Halfords are cr@p. I eventually threw away the frame, becuase it was a cr@p bike anyway.

Best of luck and hope you are back on your bicycle soon
          There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

threaded,

hope you didn't hurt your goolies

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
              threaded,

hope you didn't hurt your goolies

Milan.
              It was a slight incline and I was going for a "power up", so missed the goolies but the right buttock is quite bruised.

Comment

Never had the axle break like that, but I've had pedal cranks snap without warning, chain links break, and heard tell of someone whose handlebars came off in their hands as they were riding along. Ow. Don't know the age/providence of your bike, but could always be worth checking with the supplier, mentioning your popular website which illustrates the incident and names the manufacturer and supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65
                  heard tell of someone whose handlebars came off in their hands as they were riding along.
                  Are you sure you're not thinking of the opening credits of the Pink Panther Show?

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                    A question for Shimano, and anyone else who knows about bikes: Just how hard is it to break the axle bar going through the bottom bracket and joins the two crank arms together?

'Cause I've broken it on one of my bikes, and now my knees really hurt, and I had to walk for fscking miles to get back home.

I've broken just about every breakable bit there is on a bike at some point, but never the crank shaft. Never seen or heard of it happening before, I'm impressed!

I'm guessing Zetghost is right and it's a stress fracture possibly due to a minor fault in the part. If it's a relatively new bike you might have some joy with the manufacturer, especially if you play up the injuries caused by the failure.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X