• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fortran

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fortran

Does anyone here use it? Is it still used anywhere?

I used it back in the 1980s, but nobody seems to have mentioned it for years.

Except zeity, obviously.

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Does anyone here use it? Is it still used anywhere?

I used it back in the 1980s, but nobody seems to have mentioned it for years.

Except zeity, obviously.
    Jobserve returns one match.

Was still using it early 90s, but I can't remember what for!

Comment

I believe it's still popular in scientific computing circles. Job ads for that sort of thing tend to be found in journals though, and you'll probably need a background in the relevant field rather than fortran skills per se.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Isn't there a Fortran99? I think some old timers may still be using it, presumably mostly in legacy code.

and unbelievably, a few die hards are still using Cobol!
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Still some very big pension providers I have been at using Cobol massively.

All the websites and GUIs will be firing off web services that will eventually get to some mainframe.

As the senior managers started as Cobol developers 30 years ago they cannot see any other way of doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            I believe it's still popular in scientific computing circles. Job ads for that sort of thing tend to be found in journals though, and you'll probably need a background in the relevant field rather than fortran skills per se.
            Yes, it's still widely used in scientific computing and engineering, particularly for tasks that require supercomputers (weather and climate modelling etc.). No contract market, I would imagine.

Comment

Aye, It was the taught language when I was doing an engineering degree.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                (weather and climate modelling etc.)
                Both of which are renowned for the robustness of their models
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

They used it a lot at the Nuclear Plant I worked at - Fortan77 I think on VMS and PowerStation on a DEC PC locked in safe/cupboard.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    They used it a lot at the Nuclear Plant I worked at - Fortan77 I think on VMS and PowerStation on a DEC MicroVAX locked in safe/cupboard.
                    FTFY

Comment

Working...
                    X