• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The problem with pi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with pi

Tau Day | No, really, pi is wrong: The Tau Manifesto by Michael Hartl

Is it's wrong.

There's also a case for changing sine to cosine, and vice versa, as cosine is arguably slightly more fundamental

Of course a fair few text books would need rewriting

P.S. and don't get me started on "conventional" current on electronics
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      There's also a case for changing sine to cosine, and vice versa, as cosine is arguably slightly more fundamental

Of course a fair few text books would need rewriting

P.S. and don't get me started on "conventional" current on electronics
      Yes, doesn't work when explaining how a cathode ray tube works or a pentode phantastron.
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
        Yes, doesn't work when explaining how a cathode ray tube works or a pentode phantastron.
        Does anyone even use them still?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Does anyone even use them still?
          I was wondering that, as I have a 32" Phillips TV gathering dust and taking up a vast amount of room as it is 3 or 4 feet "deep".

Is it likely anyone would conceivably want to buy it, for the retro look perhaps or just for spares? Or will I have to actually pay someone to cart it away? (It cost £1600 only 15 years ago)
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            One of the esteemed customers was warbling on about tau the other day.

We pointedly ignored him.
            How would examiners react to a student answering questions using Tau instead of two-Pi in the workings?

Assuming they'd used it in a mathematically correct manner of course.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              If it's mathematically correct, then it's ok.

Probly get marked down for being a pretentious oik.

Especially if I was marking it.
              So using Tau is a bit like gay marriage then?

Edit: That's not to say I believe you are personally against gay marriage.

Comment

Working...
              X