• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Silly Sir Ranulph

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silly Sir Ranulph

BBC News - Ranulph Fiennes pulls out of Antarctic challenge

Sir Ranulph Fiennes has pulled out of an expedition across Antarctica in winter because of severe frostbite.

The 68-year-old was injured after a fall while skiing during training at a base camp in Antarctica. He used his bare hands to fix a ski binding in temperatures around -30C.
    Seems a bit a rookie error but there you go. Noting that he already lost fingers on one hand**, that sounds pretty bad news.

Note, this is before the crazy "cross the Antarctic in darkness at -90" mission even started.

**This is not the first time the explorer has experienced frostbite. In 2000, he lost the fingers on his left hand during an unaided attempt to reach the North Pole.

When he returned to the UK, he was told he would have to wait several months before they could be amputated to allow the partially damaged tissue to heal. But he decided to do the job himself and carried out the amputations using a fretsaw.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

And I like the BBC's helpful advice
    Almost all cases of frostbite can be prevented by wearing appropriate clothing and avoiding unnecessary exposure to cold
    Which cases can't be prevented by staying in the warm I wonder?

Comment

I Cut Off My Toes on Arctic Trip - Rosie Stancer recounts horrific surgery

Comment

lets be honest we are a bunch of keyboard warriors, Sir Ranulph has more balls than the lot of us combined.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          lets be honest we are a bunch of keyboard warriors, Sir Ranulph has more balls than the lot of us combined.
          More balls but fewer fingers...

Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Come here and say that! Then I'll apologise profusely and buy you a coffee

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              More balls but fewer fingers...

Probably about the same as Diver

Comment

I liked Ranulph Fiennes autobiography. Getting kicked out of the SAS for taking too many risks. Admitting that his behaviour in a state school (climbing to the top of the school roof regularly etc) would have had him in borstal but in public school they just encouraged him to climb etc.

Comment

Old age hath yet his honour and his toil;
                  Death closes all: but something ere the end,
                  Some work of noble note, may yet be done
                  Though much is taken, much abides; and though
                  We are not now that strength which in old days
                  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
                  One equal temper of heroic hearts,
                  Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
                  To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

-- Tennyson
                  Last edited by Ignis Fatuus; 26 February 2013, 13:24.
                  Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

I'd rather have my fingers than his balls tbh.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X