• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

what I want to know

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what I want to know

is how many Catholic popes, bishops, priests and nuns have to resign before we might start to think there is something to worry about in this organisation.

late night 'can I see your saus' prayer sessions
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    is how many Catholic popes, bishops, priests and nuns have to resign before we might start to think there is something to worry about in this organisation.

late night 'can I see your saus' prayer sessions
    I give it another 2,000 years

Until they cease to be the richest religion with way too much influence, I don't think it will make a difference.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

is how many Catholic popes, bishops, priests and nuns have to resign before THEY might start to think there is something to worry about in this organisation.
      FTFY

WE already think there's something to worry about.
      Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
        FTFY

WE already think there's something to worry about.
        good point. well made
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

Lets ignore the "he's resigned not admitted guilt" angle for now...

EO do you have any stats on how many there have been in the last year/decade/whatever? Is there much evidence that priests are statistically more dodgy than, say, accountants or primary teachers or nurses rather than getting a disproportionate press reaction about it?

After all this is the story of a priest who acted inappropriately to other priests who were adults, even if the media want to try and link it to pedo stories. Isn't that simply sexual harassment in the workplace?

ps: I'm not a Catholic and think the RC church is suspect biblically so this is not to be read as a "defending my own" response.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Lets ignore the "he's resigned not admitted guilt" angle for now...

EO do you have any stats on how many there have been in the last year/decade/whatever? Is there much evidence that priests are statistically more dodgy than, say, accountants or primary teachers or nurses rather than getting a disproportionate press reaction about it?

After all this is the story of a priest who acted inappropriately to other priests who were adults, even if the media want to try and link it to pedo stories. Isn't that simply sexual harassment in the workplace?

ps: I'm not a Catholic and think the RC church is suspect biblically so this is not to be read as a "defending my own" response.
            I have got absolutely zero stats. This is simply a knee-jerk reaction based upon the common misconception that the male priesthood are somehow 'predatory paedos'

sorry if I caused any offence

yours - Jimmy S.
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

From good old wikipedia (for the US) Catholic sex abuse cases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The 4,392 priests who were accused amount to approximately 4% of the 109,694 priests in active ministry during that time. Of these 4,392, approximately:

56 percent had one reported allegation against them; 27 percent had two or three allegations against them; nearly 14 percent had four to nine allegations against them; 3 percent (149 priests) had 10 or more allegations against them. These 149 priests were responsible for almost 3,000 victims, or 27 percent of the allegations.[59]

The allegations were substantiated for 1,872 priests and unsubstantiated for 824 priests. They were thought to be credible for 1,671 priests and not credible for 345 priests. 298 priests and deacons who had been completely exonerated are not included in the study.

"

Comment

I have got absolutely zero stats. This is simply a knee-jerk reaction based upon the common misconception that the male priesthood are somehow 'predatory paedos'
                So what does a priest being inappropriate to other priests have to do with that? Or are you suggesting those dirty pedos are so sick, they'll even have sex with adults now?

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Ta d000hg
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I'm not a Catholic and think the RC church is suspect biblically so this is not to be read as a "defending my own" response
                  Trying to get my head round what "suspect biblically" means and can only conclude that according to you Catholic interpretation of the (Chinese-whispered) words of some blokes 2000 years ago is somehow inferior to your own.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

I can recommend Andrew O'Hagan's Be Near Me if you fancy a book about priests and child abuse. Very thought provoking and beautifully written.

Comment

Working...
                    X