• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Negative interest rates should be considered says Bank of England deputy governor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negative interest rates should be considered says Bank of England deputy governor

Negative interest rates should be considered says Bank of England deputy governor | News | Mortgage Strategy

Fantastic news if your mortgage debt is linked to BOE Base Rate (providing there is no floor) but a complete and utter disaster if you are a saver such as a pensioner.

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    Negative interest rates should be considered says Bank of England deputy governor | News | Mortgage Strategy

Fantastic news if your mortgage debt is linked to BOE Base Rate (providing there is no floor) but a complete and utter disaster if you are a saver such as a pensioner.
    Would there be any "products" with no floor?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!! Do it!!!!!!!!!

I'm on 0.98% interest only offset and all of my actual equity which is almost the full mortgage amount is getting me 5% after tax anyway.

Drop it to -5!!!!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Would there be any "products" with no floor?
        hehe - kept the word "product" out this time. There's still a few but a lot of trackers are the same price if not more than fixed rates currently.

If Base Rate were to drop to 0%, you can guarantee that more floors will be introduced or the spread above will increase.

Comment

Maybe I should switch my mortgage application to a tracker
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

but a complete and utter disaster if you are a saver such as a pensioner.
            Who could take out their savings as cash, and stuff that under the mattress. Try applying a negative interest rate to that!

Comment

I thought "introducing negative interest" was pretty much synonymous with "allowing inflation a looser rein".

Obviously missing some subtlety - I may have to dig out that big economics book and skim through it again.

edit: Interesting article here
              Last edited by OwlHoot; 26 February 2013, 16:41.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                Who could take out their savings as cash, and stuff that under the mattress. Try applying a negative interest rate to that!
                And the price of gold would soar!
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  I thought "introducing negative interest" was pretty much synonymous with "allowing inflation a looser rein".
                  WHS + QE

We've effectively had negative interest rates for years.

Comment

Desperate to reinflate the credit boom, at any cost.

Comment

Working...
                    X