• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking at a new TV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at a new TV

It's an e-penis compensatory thing, and am looking at some 55" models.

Samsung 55ES8000 has quite a presence.

Any recommendations?
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

How far away are you going to be sitting? A 55" when sat 8ft away is going to look like a billboard at Piccadilly Circus as you'll see the pixels.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Samsung Smart TVs all the way at the moment IMVHO.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        Samsung Smart TVs all the way at the moment IMVHO.
        This.

Although don't buy from CostCo as every electrical device I've ever bought from there has knacked itself. I think they must stack em too high.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Although don't buy from CostCo as every electrical device I've ever bought from there has knacked itself. I think they must stack em too high.
          Back in the days when Comet was successfully giving high street retailers a thorough hammering on prices, there was a rumour that Sony were deliberately selling them second quality gear.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            Back in the days when Comet was successfully giving high street retailers a thorough hammering on prices, there was a rumour that Sony were deliberately selling them second quality gear.
            I believe the panels came from the same factory and Sony got first dibs from the quality control line, that doesn't mean the Samsung ones were necessarily much worse.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Aren't 4K TVs going to be out this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                Soon. Sony 4K TV | 4K Resolution TV | Ultra HD - 3,840x2,160 Pixel Display | Sony Store USA

Not sure if it'll make much difference to a regular living room though...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                  What are people going to watch on them? I had a HD-TV for years before I had an HD source, I don't bother recording stuff in HD (unless it's MOTD) because is uses so much space on my Sky box.

The First 4K Movie You Can Download Is 160GB and Absolutely Breathtaking

I can't see that coming to a streaming service anytime soon... maybe that's the plan?

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    What are people going to watch on them? I had a HD-TV for years before I had an HD source, I don't bother recording stuff in HD (unless it's MOTD) because is uses so much space on my Sky box.

The First 4K Movie You Can Download Is 160GB and Absolutely Breathtaking

I can't see that coming to a streaming service anytime soon... maybe that's the plan?
                    True, although supposedly the PS4 is going to support 4K output. The question is whether there'll be a disc format that can hold a 4K movie, and how long it will take for movie companies to adopt it. Blu-ray is still relatively minor despite killing off HD-DVD.

Comment

Working...
                    X