• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permies escalating

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permies escalating

Always loved the concept of 'escalating' in companies. It's always a permie thing and as a contractor you're normally not on the receiving end of it. In the world of perm though there's always some people who think its big or clever.

And so goes the case this evening.

Having been asked to follow up with some middle manager who was making a lot of noise, escalating to the CFO I was asked to interject by my boss and the head of IT. So more than happy to find out what the noise was I set up a call with said manager and his team to discuss, requesting some background documentation.

With 5 minutes to go to the meeting said perm cancelled the meeting stating some bollocks about how he was wasting his time on this request, he'd discussed it four times before over the last year, was escalating and he wanted it NOW! Copying his boss.

Now I assume he thought he was talking to a mere underling because to be fair I never put my job title. I replied telling him in no uncertain terms that I had binned his request due to a failure to supply the correct information now and previously when asked and it was seriously unprofessional. I then copied my boss and head of IT, plus the CFO. I also put my job title which trumped him and his boss.

Four missed calls and three emails in five minutes. Corporate Top Trumps. Made me laugh. Lol.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Serves him right. I take it you have a roadmap that shows his request is pointless and cannot be done in the next x months.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Serves him right. I take it you have a roadmap that shows his request is pointless and cannot be done in the next x months.
          Oh yes. I am completely on top of the entire roadmap and company prioritisation and basically no-one is getting fook all at any time soon except me.

Actually you're right about this permie lark. Not only have I failed to hire anyone in 3 months even though I can hire 5 permies And one contractor I received an email from Finance asking why I'd only spent $20k of my agreed $1.5m budget so far.

Fooking fail.
          Last edited by MarillionFan; 27 February 2013, 21:18.

Comment

What a catch you are!

See
            http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1706131

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Actually you're right about this permie lark. Not only have I failed to hire anyone in 3 months even though I can hire 5 permies And one contractor I received an email from Finance asking why I'd only spent $20k of my agreed $1.5m budget so far.

Fooking fail.
              $1.5m to migrate a Lotus 123 spreadsheet to Microsoft Excel. A bargain in anyones book.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

...I received an email from Finance asking why I'd only spent $20k of my agreed $1.5m budget so far.

Fooking fail.
                I'm sure there are a few of us here who can help remedy this situation for you?

Now where's my passport + US visa..

Comment

Always loved the concept of 'escalating' in companies. It's always a permie thing and as a contractor you're normally not on the receiving end of it. In the world of perm though there's always some people who think its big or clever.

And so goes the case this evening.

Having been asked to follow up with some middle manager who was making a lot of noise, escalating to the CFO I was asked to interject by my boss and the head of IT. So more than happy to find out what the noise was I set up a call with said manager and his team to discuss, requesting some background documentation.

With 5 minutes to go to the meeting said perm cancelled the meeting stating some bollocks about how he was wasting his time on this request, he'd discussed it four times before over the last year, was escalating and he wanted it NOW! Copying his boss.

Now I assume he thought he was talking to a mere underling because to be fair I never put my job title. I replied telling him in no uncertain terms that I had binned his request due to a failure to supply the correct information now and previously when asked and it was seriously unprofessional. I then copied my boss and head of IT, plus the CFO. I also put my job title which trumped him and his boss.

Four missed calls and three emails in five minutes. Corporate Top Trumps. Made me laugh. Lol.
                  I know we all had a pop about the whole Suityou sockie and bedwetting posts getting tedious, but I think you've gone a bit far the other way now.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    I know we all had a pop about the whole Suityou sockie and bedwetting posts getting tedious, but I think you've gone a bit far the other way now.
                    That's it. You're fired!

Comment

Working...
                    X