• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension contribution to SIPP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pension contribution to SIPP

Always thought you could only do up to salary level into a pension - but this implies differently from CUK articles see below:
    So, can anyone let me know if I can make a big payment into my own SIPP from the company without any grief (say 20k or so ) or does it have to be a different type of pension ?

'With the end of the 2012-13 tax year fast-approaching, the ContractorUK Money Club explores how limited company contractors can reduce a large tax bill using a company pension with Tony Harris of freelancers’ IFA ContractorMoney.

If you have built up a pot of retained profits in your limited company, then you could invest them directly into a pension and avoid a hefty corporation tax bill. While this will mean delaying getting your hands on the cash until you reach age 55, it does represent a very tax-efficient method of transferring funds from company to personal hands. At 55, you can choose to release up to 25% of your pension as a tax-free lump sum with the remainder left to grow or used to provide an income.

As long as your day-to-day expenses are covered and you have taken any salary or dividends that you require, you should be able to invest as much of your remaining income and current year profits into a pension as you would like because there is no relationship between salary and the size of a company contribution. As funds are transferred directly, there is no personal income tax or national insurance deduction and you also save on the corporation tax that you would otherwise have paid on this year’s profits.

A company contribution into a pension fund can be made directly from retained profits held in a contractor's limited company account. In addition, current year's profits can be transferred and these are no longer liable for corporation tax. This enables the company's owner to reduce their corporation tax bill considerably, as they will only be charged tax at 20% on profits left in the company at the end of the trading year.

Alternatively if you would prefer to make a personal contribution then you can take a larger than usual dividend and invest personally to save on income tax. It is worth remembering, however, that personal contributions are limited to 100% of salary (which is probably already low) whereas company contributions are unlimited.'

what does your FA say?

if you haven't got one PM me. Know an award winning company pensions adviser.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Can't you just ask him for me :-)

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
        Can't you just ask him for me :-)
        her actually.

Yes I could but then she would go all technical on me and I wouldn't have the answers (pensions are quite complicated due to legal loopholes/ lassos). Also if her advice turned out to be wrong you would have no comeback.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Pensions for contractors with a limited company
          Last edited by administrator; 19 April 2016, 15:52.

Comment

Thanks DP, just sounded a bit too good to be true, looks like it is fine to do the contribution into my SIPP - Happy days !

Comment

Yeah great - put all your money into a pension, and watch the government change the law (backdating if necessary) before you reach 55, and swiping a large part of it.

Keep your funds liquid or semi-liquid

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                Yeah great - put all your money into a pension, and watch the government change the law (backdating if necessary) before you reach 55, and swiping a large part of it.

Keep your funds liquid or semi-liquid
                I think it might be worth the gamble if you think you can piss off out of the country with the pension pot before they steal it.

Comment

SIPP is only one part of the plan, controlled by me, HYP in non-risky assets and some index funds to keep costs ultra-low (main problem with pensions performance) and VERY long term view so I ignore any short term noise.
                  Conscious of the potential for 'raids' later I will of course be taking the 25% when the time comes and probably using drawdown to get the funds back out.
                  Works for me but would advise maximise your ISA first (I do that too...)
                  Good Luck all !

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    I think it might be worth the gamble if you think you can piss off out of the country with the pension pot before they steal it.
                    Good prompt DP: I've just found QROPS:
                    Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    Might be just what we need to get HMG's mitts off our loot.

Comment

Working...
                    X