• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The dentist

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dentist

I hate the dentist. Never liked the dentist as a kid and then in my early twenties I had an awfully bad dentist. She had terrible breath, the first time the injection was so painful I almost hit the roof, then as she drilled it was obvious that she hadn't done it properly as I then hit the roof. The second time her hand jumped and she cut the side of my mouth with the drill. There wasn't a third and I didn't go to another dentist for over ten years.

Just been this morning for a filling, all very good these days, but she's used too much. My entire chin has gone, most of my mouth, side of my face and my ear, it's either the anesthetic or I've had a stroke.

Does anyone actually like the dentist? Dentist horror stories?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

The dentist

I was 18, and had a tooth filled except the Bob dentist effed it up and a got a huge abcess. After three days of total pain I went round to see him and he shat himself, my face was like a balloon on one side - he sent me to hospital.

Waited there for five hours for the surgeon to come, he took one look and immediately got me on the bed thing and took his scalpel out and without any anaesthetic or injection sliced a hole in my left inner cheek lining, fooooking hurt more than anything I've experienced before or since.

Red, green and yellow goo spewed out of my mouth and it stunk which made me wretch, but couldn't puke cos I'd not eaten for three days due to the pain.

Then I went into shock and started shaking violently with the surgeon panicking and shouting 'what's wrong???!' His turn to shiit himself.

Overnight stay in hossie on anti-bios and I was as right as rain!

Comment

When I was about 6 I went to the dentists to have a tooth out. It turns out that one of the nerves on one side of my mouth is a bit odd as years later I went to one dentist who couldn't numb it after muliple injections. So that explains why the dentist snapped my tooth in half and yanked it out of my mouth while it was still totally live and why I hated dentists.

The worst injections are the ones that they do when they have to work on your front teeth. It feels like the needle is going to come out through your nose!
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Wisdom tooth extraction 10 years ago (thankfully just the one) on the NHS, nearly passed out with blood loss. Got nerve damage that affects me to this day, front teeth feel tingly from time to time.

Remember getting no sympathy from (permie) company I worked for and I was even warned about time off! Prob one reason why I left to go contracting soon after.

Saying that I've started to get a recurring pain in the upper left side, can't put it off any longer, knowing my luck it'll be a root canal costing ££££££.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Years ago I once went to the dentist to have two wisdom teeth out, I was the dentist first patient after lunch and he was running late. He gave me in the injections but I hadnt come up on them as he hadnt waited long enough so I told him but he still went for it. I should of taken him to court, very traumatic experience, he said to me are you a 'man or a wimp'. The hole practice must of heard me scream in pain.

Another time I need to have my jaw expanded to take an implant, they made out it was nothing so agreed to not being put a sleep. I realised I had made a mistake when then put iodine all over face, they spent 25 mins with a medical hammer and punch expanding an area of my jaw.
          I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

I've signed up with these lot on the NHS

Altmore Dental Care (Docklands) - Providers of exceptional cosmetic and general dentistry to private and NHS patients

I'm really impressed by them to be honest. The best dentists I've used.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Hate the dentist but recently had to go every week for the last month at a cost of £1.2k

I did have a dentist that took a run up ( well it seemed like that when I was a kid) before giving the injection.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Never had anything serious but lots of fillings - though only one with any pain at all. Must be something hard-wired into us about the experience that makes it scary...

I have pretty crap teeth so I'm worried I'm going to need some extensive work in the future, not thrilled by that idea. Perhaps have all my teeth pulled under a general...
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Never had anything serious but lots of fillings - though only one with any pain at all. Must be something hard-wired into us about the experience that makes it scary...

I have pretty crap teeth so I'm worried I'm going to need some extensive work in the future, not thrilled by that idea. Perhaps have all my teeth pulled under a general...
                  After my ten years away from the dentist I registered for a new one as I had some pain. The dentist told me I needed a root canal. I told him to pull it out instead (figuring it would be less painful), he was adamant that wasn't necessary and a root canal was better. I still had it pulled, came out clean, didn't feel a thing.

A year later had a problem with another tooth and yet again, it was a root canal. I had that one and to be honest didn't even feel it.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I hate the dentist, I suffer from claustrophobia and find it really difficult being tipped back in the chair.

I didn't go to the dentist for 20 years. Went for a check-up and everything was OK. That was 5 years ago. Since then I've had a filling but it took about 6 months to bed in. I reckon the more you go, the more work you'll need to have done.

My tip is to use an electric toothbrush and clean your teeth twice, the first time with a decent toothpaste (I use Corsodyl toothpaste) and then clean them again straightaway but use Listerine instead of toothpaste. Floss occasionally.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X