• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed about moving into contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed about moving into contracting

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about going into contracting (Configuration\Change\Release\Build Management) but am unsure if contracting is something I would actually like.

I've got the skills and experience required and the financial rewards on offer are becoming more and more tempting (almost too good to turn down) but I'm finding it a very daunting step to take.

I've got a family and I'm in a stable well paid job (which although is very comfortable, no longer offers a challenge) so I don’t want to make a big change I may regret without getting some personal advice from other people who have made the move and have now got the t-shirt.

Could anyone give me some advice about how they find contracting?

I'm particularly interested in finding out views on how it has affected your family lives (long commutes and staying away from home etc to get contracts that are based a long way from home etc). Has it caused anyone any problems?

Does anyone have any regrets about going into it despite the financial rewards?

Any advice, views, words of wisdom or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Contracting isnt a challenge. Its about getting paid for doing a job only. You dont even have to do it well ask Milan or Mordac.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Well I have no regrets about getting into contracting. For me it's not really about the money it's more about the flexibility it gives me to have a family life.

I'm earning slightly more than I would in permiedom aand I choose to commumnte no more than 2 hours a day, but I guess that's due to where I live.

If I had to stay away from home or have long comnutes then I would jump back into permidom whithout hesitation.

The one thing I certainly do not miss is having to deal with all that HR BS.

MG

This has not beeb scanned with Fleetwood spellchecker 2.4
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

CM-G...

Hi!

Are you application side or Ops?

I am not having much in the way of luck at the moment although I keep getting called for apps....and that not my area...very annoying.
        http://nickmueller.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes indeed, not hearing the vacuous HR tripe is a big advantage.

Comment

Both but mainly development (Rational,PVCS), opps\ITIL for the last 3 years. Are you based in Yorkshire?

Comment

No more HR would certainly be nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by CM-G
                Both but mainly development (Rational,PVCS), opps\ITIL for the last 3 years. Are you based in Yorkshire?
                Worse luck I am in Guildford!

Rational...never had the exposure...I do quite like Tivoli though

PVCS - from what I have heard its a really good version control tool....so good that a director for a company I used to consult for wanted to use it to version control Prince2 documents...

oh joy.

Comment

ClearCase is really good but can be a bit of pain at time especially compared to PVCS.

Do you mainly work inside the M25? I lived in Guildford for 3 years, I worked in Farnham but moved back home to Yorkshire about 5 years ago (which was a bit like moving to the desert in CM terms compared to living down south). That's the reason I'm a bit dubious about going into contracting. I'm a bit concerned that after my contract up north ends I might end up having to do contracts down south, which be a bit of pain now

Comment

Wherever the work is....not really tied down to anywhere particular.

I have noticed a few roles up North.

Funnily enough I used to live in Leeds back in the 80's. I understand it has changed a great deal since I was there.

Comment

Working...
                    X