• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone been backpacking solo?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone been backpacking solo?

I have worked out i have had 4 days off in the last 3 years and have decided I want to treat myself to a long break at the end of my current gig. All my friends are permies and would not be able to take more than 2 weeks off. So i was thinking of taking 3-6 months and do a bit of traveling. I am 28 now and think i need to do this now or i never will.

Has anyone ever done it on their own? how did they find it?

Is that a euphemism?

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
      I have worked out i have had 4 days off in the last 3 years and have decided I want to treat myself to a long break at the end of my current gig. All my friends are permies and would not be able to take more than 2 weeks off. So i was thinking of taking 3-6 months and do a bit of traveling. I am 28 now and think i need to do this now or i never will.

I have, more than 20 years ago. Travelled to Singapore, HK, Thailand and Malaysia on the cheap.
      Loved it, had no problems whatsoever and made many friends along the way.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post

Did Japan and New Zealand solo in 2004, really enjoyed it. This was pre contracting so I slummed it using hostels and met people that way. Didn't really plan anything bar using a bus to get around in NZ and got the rail pass in Japan armed with my trusty lonely planet guide.

I did China and Thailand using a group tour service called intrepid. You get in with a group of 12 people and have a guide. some countries are easy to get around yourself, but China I'd recommend a guide.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I did it in the early 2000's - if you stick to the usual back packer destinations you won't be alone for long.. met up with some great people on my travels.

Comment

I did it in my early 20's - had a great time ..met a few crazies along the way but overall impression was surprise around the kindness that ordinary people will show to complete strangers

What is life without adventure?
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

US and Mexico is where I headed off to for 3 months about 10 years ago ... had a great time going from hostel to hostel from the east to the west coast. I met with some groups whilst I was there and did things with them which was fun. I would recommend travelling during the peak season as there would be more people around to meet up with. As others have said there are a few strange people on the backpacker trails - they remind me of the eternal students you may have seen at Uni that never grow up.

I would like to go to more countries in the future but probably wouldn't slum it so much.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                I have, more than 20 years ago. Travelled to Singapore, HK, Thailand and Malaysia on the cheap.
                Loved it, had no problems whatsoever and made many friends along the way.
                Believed you up until the last six words.

Comment

I did it 30 years ago: 6 months in Africa, then some years later 12 months round South America. Loved it. High point of my life. Only came back when money ran out. Am dreaming of Asia, but not so easy since I am not single any more.

Travel alone, you will meet people. If you set off with someone you already know, you will bring your home life along and will miss a lot of what you might otherwise have seen.
                  Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Believed you up until the last six words.

Ok they were acquantainces
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X