• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unauthorised Reference Request

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unauthorised Reference Request

Bit of a weird one this

I got a text last night from the hiring manager of a previous client (on really good terms with) saying he'd been contacted by and agent asking for a reference for me. He said he'd given a glowing recommendation naturally. But the weird thing is I've no business with this agent.

She contacted me about a role a while ago but I said I wasn't available so quite what she's trying to gain by getting a reference from a client I've not worked at for 3 years is beyond me.

I called her this morning to see what she was playing at but she was apparently out of the office all day.

Any suggestions as to a possible motive, as I'm pretty stumped, until I actually speak to her.

Automation
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

She's probably an idiot. Quite common in agents.

Comment

automation
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

She's probably an idiot. Quite common in agents.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

automation
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Quite common in agents.
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

I appreciate that a lot of them are idiots and this one is newbie going by her LinkedIn profile, but I can't see what she was possibly trying to gain by getting a reference for someone she's got no roles for.

The only thing I thought was that she was trying to use it as a foot in the door with previous clients but I asked client that and he said no it was just a reference request. She called him also it want just a random email.

I have no idea what you mean by automation either I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
                  I appreciate that a lot of them are idiots and this one is newbie going by her LinkedIn profile, but I can't see what she was possibly trying to gain by getting a reference for someone she's got no roles for.

The only thing I thought was that she was trying to use it as a foot in the door with previous clients but I asked client that and he said no it was just a reference request. She called him also it want just a random email.

I have no idea what you mean by automation either I'm afraid.
                  Just because she didn't ask this time round for roles that might need filling, doesn't mean she won't in the future.

step 1, ask for a ref for a previous contractor, get him chatting.

step 2, build the relationship, by calling him back and thanking him for said ref.

step 3, milk him for all its worth.

Comment

It would be quite nice if they already had refs so they don't have to bother asking for them when there IS a gig!
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X