• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Economy is turning ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Economy is turning ....

... to tulip?

David Cameron: Economy is turning the corner - Telegraph

No, it's on the mend.

It is though. I reckon 1% growth this year, accelerating next year.
    The only risk is the stupid policies being pursued by Germany viz. the PIIGs.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Turning the corner to where? I reckon its a country-sized sink hole.

Mind you I've got no end of work...well as long as the shopping malls don't go tulip.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

You're more stupid than I imagined.

How much is real and how much is QE fuelled?

Comment

Talking of PIIGs, I watched the first episode (season 1) of Black Mirror last night... now there's an idea.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

You're more stupid than I imagined.

How much is real and how much is QE fuelled?
            The fact is QE worked in staving off the big D.
            You'd rather be Italy or Spain?
            Someone with as poor skills as you would be grubbing around the bins by now
            I refer you to my sig. Read it till it sinks in.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

But has it staved off the big D? there is a technical assessment as to whether we are in a Recession but only the following from Wiki which appears to tick a lot of boxes

In economics, a depression is a sustained, long-term downturn in economic activity in one or more economy. It is a more severe downturn than a recession, which is seen by some economists as part of the modern business cycle.

Considered by some economists to be a rare and extreme form of recession, a depression is characterized by its length; by abnormally large increases in unemployment; falls in the availability of credit, often due to some kind of banking or financial crisis; shrinking output as buyers dry up and suppliers cut back on production and investment; large number of bankruptcies including sovereign debt defaults; significantly reduced amounts of trade and commerce, especially international; as well as highly volatile relative currency value fluctuations, most often due to devaluations. Price deflation, financial crises and bank failures are also common elements of a depression that are not normally a part of a recession.
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Someone with as poor skills as you would be grubbing around the bins by now
                I refer you to my sig. Read it till it sinks in.
                That might be true if there were any plans in place for some kind of economy other than a debt fuelled consumer economy....it's merely kicking the can down the road and blowing up bigger bubbles.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  But has it staved off the big D? there is a technical assessment as to whether we are in a Recession but only the following from Wiki which appears to tick a lot of boxes
                  I would say a big D is what's happening in Greece, 30% fall in GDP, 25% unemployment rising to 50% for under 25s. People without enough to eat, no drugs in hospitals. Serious civil unrest.

Here we're bumping along with 8% unemployment and zeroish growth, a great Recession rather than a Depression
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    That might be true if there were any plans in place for some kind of economy other than a debt fuelled consumer economy....it's merely kicking the can down the road and blowing up bigger bubbles.
                    I doubt there'll be a large credit fuelled boom any time soon. Banks aren't lending for a start.
                    But large companies are holding lots of cash, at some point they'll invest it.

Essentially there were 2 ways to solve the problem of excess liquidity: a complete drastic tightening as in the PIIGS or a postponement, looking at solutions down the road, with a bit of inflation to help.
                    We, thankfully, took the latter road.
                    Last edited by sasguru; 7 March 2013, 14:30.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X