• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No Pork or heaters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Pork or heaters

Landlord's list of 31 bizarre rules for tenants - Telegraph

OK which of you fancies a house share?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Years ago I shared with a veggie. When she was showing me round she mentioned that she was a veggie and didn't mind me keeping meat in the fridge but just not to use her chopping board. Fair enough about the board. Another bloke moved in and she was really arsey with him from pretty much the start - something to do with him using the washer. Anyway, she suddenly started getting funny with me also, although I was rarely there, perobably because I was a bloke and she was being outnumbered. It was shortly after, that anytime either of us were cooking, her chopping board got scrubbed with 'clairs sausage' to the point where the sausage wore away or smelt too much! That was the last time I shared a rented house!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
      Years ago I shared with a veggie. When she was showing me round she mentioned that she was a veggie and didn't mind me keeping meat in the fridge but just not to use her chopping board. Fair enough about the board. Another bloke moved in and she was really arsey with him from pretty much the start - something to do with him using the washer. Anyway, she suddenly started getting funny with me also, although I was rarely there, perobably because I was a bloke and she was being outnumbered. It was shortly after, that anytime either of us were cooking, her chopping board got scrubbed with 'clairs sausage' to the point where the sausage wore away or smelt too much! That was the last time I shared a rented house!
      That's a euphemism right
      Blood in your poo

Comment

Sounds like in reality he doesn't want a flatmate at all.

Comment

I suspect he wants a 'like minded' applicant without putting in advert. 'Would suit muslim gent' might cause him trouble.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            I suspect he wants a 'like minded' applicant without putting in advert. 'Would suit muslim gent' might cause him trouble.
            'Would suit muslim gent without friends/social life, personal possessions, and ideally invisible.'

Something like that.

Comment

I left uni in 1991 and got my first contract shortly after. I moved from Aberdeen to Swindon with as many clothes as I could pack into my bag. The fisrt thing I needed was to rent a room. On the notice board at work were a few advertising rooms to rent. At the time I was doing support - I'd arranged to do some work on this lads PC late in the evening, after he'd gone. I used that time to call up a few of these adverts. I pinched the guys pad of postits and started making notes as I called the numbers. There was one, the last one....on Manchester road. I asked to make a viewing and was told it was £50 a week. As we talked more about it I decided against it. So my scribble on the postit was Manchester Road, the girls name I was speaking to, 7:30....£50 and then a few No, No comments. The next morning I went into the office to check that everything was ok with the PC. His collegues were taking the piss out of him. It turned out that Manchester Road in Swindon was (is) where the prossies hang out and they were asking if he was quibbling on the price. Obviusly I didn't own up and juts let them continue to think he was some kind of purve
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

There is a difference between taking a room in a shared house and taking a room with a family/live in landlord. If in a shared house every sharer is equal and have same rights to kitchen communal areas. But if one is taking a room with a family living in the house i.e. lodger then the rules are different.

The pork / and visitors (men/women) staying over is most likely cultural/religious issue as well as safety i.e. having constant visitors (bf/gf) staying over and paying rent for a single not couple is not acceptable especially if the visitors will be hanging around the house all day most days using all facilities. The time spent in the kitchen I can sympathise with, I had a lodger who would spend 2 to 3 hours cooking his dinner every night, that's most of the evening gone, so no one else could use the kitchen when he was cooking, suppose the same principal applies with the shower, if one lodger hogs the shower in the mornings, other people can't use it.
                The extra heaters in the rooms means health and safety issue as well as extra bills, the drugs and illegal stuff is understandable.

I think this landlord/landlady worded the conditions in a very bad way, but if worded nicely one would think its perfectly reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                X