• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Narked off a bit -

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Narked off a bit -

I love this contract - and the people that I work with are great, but the commute has turned out to be a 1.5/2 hour journey every morning. Sometimes it feels like groundhog day.

I'll cheer up tomorrow hopefully.

No contact is perfect. About the same commute as my current contact, via train so I work while travelling; time passes quicker.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Negotiate flexible hours so you can miss the rush hour. If you can't shift your day and hour at both ends try for 3 shorter ones where you come in late and go home a little earlier and then do 2 long days to make the time up..

Stay over mid week just to recharge your batteries etc etc...
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AnnaO View Post
        I love this contract - and the people that I work with are great, but the commute has turned out to be a 1.5/2 hour journey every morning. Sometimes it feels like groundhog day.

My commute last gig was anywhere between 1.25 hours and 3 hrs. Such was the commute into central Cambridge from Luton.

Count yourself lucky. On many levels.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Stay over mid week just to recharge your batteries etc etc...
          That's what I do, it's not the early mornings, it's getting in at 8pm I have problems with...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I find the train helps a lot, despite taking a bit longer and costing a bit more than the fuel, I get to sleep an extra hour in the mornings, and on the way home use me ipad to get through my mails and finances, all without having to deal with idiots who dont know how to drive. I havent commuted by car for 4 years and its part of the consideration when looking for new work.

Ok theres still nobs on the train, but nothing a pair of decent sennheisers cant mask out. The women are paricularly bad, as they dont seem able to sit and not talk if they are travelling with someone they know. Im not so bothered on the way home but at 7:15am is it really important to tell your collegaue about the friend of a friend who did this and that. Who gives a flying fish.! I got meself some sealed back in ear phones and i cant hear them and they cant hear me (unlike people with apple ear buds which should be banned!!!)

In fact i had the idea of a plan B company to carry 10 pairs of senheiser in me bag and flog them on the train to people with white earbuds. Then everyone can get some sleep.
            Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

1.5 one way hour max for me is the rule, and that has to be rush hour, so I'd expect it to be quicker in a quiet road. More than that I'd stay up a few nights.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by AnnaO View Post

Such is contracting. About the same as me, but half of mine is train.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Such is contracting. About the same as me, but half of mine is train.
                  I did a 4 hour daily commute for 6 years.

Deal with it.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    I did a 4 hour daily commute for 6 years.

Deal with it.
                    Deal with what? I'm doing about the same but I'm not complaining.

Comment

Working...
                    X