• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you ever had a "telling off" from the client?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever had a "telling off" from the client?

My present client has a team meeting every morning, standing up, and with no computers within reach. 80% is tedius stuff not directly relevant to what I am working on - it's amazing how people can go on and on like women (yes I'm being sexist I know).

Anyway to alleviate the boredom out comes the phone, what's this on ContractorUK.. What wise ideas can I learn from SasGuru today.. How can I get Word Chain 2 to its next swear word..

"Kentphilip can you put that phone into your pocket and pay attention"

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    "Kentphilip can you put that phone into your pocket and pay attention"
    If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Once I got told in no uncertain terms to stop selling illegally-imported kudu biltong to the staff.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
        Once I got told in no uncertain terms to stop selling illegally-imported kudu biltong to the staff.
        If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Apocryphal story...

Summoned to the Project Manager's office, given a 30 minute dressing down.

Permie colleague: "What was THAT?"
          Contractor: "about £50"
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Got a proper a deserved one a few years back that went something like "if you ever do anything like that again I will remove you from site! And I have told the client that im having this conversation with you... By the way you were right and don't back off' that guys a dick!"

Not sure if its the same as stop fiddling with your phone.

Comment

Can't think of anything remotley like a telling off from a client.

Had a few run-ins with manager's and permies who didn't like to be told the truth and for other contractor's who I was responsible for I certainly fought their corners.

Often I've been praised for my professionalism
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Once when I'd gone home for my first weekend on a new contract.

They wanted me to go in at 11 o'clock on the Friday night and I was exhausted after a 3 hour drive.

The agent hadn't told me that I was on 24 hour call out, 7 days a week.

I simply booked myself into the hotel for the duration of the contract after that.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  I didn't read the contract and it turned out I was on 24 hour call out, 7 days a week.
                  Ftfy

Comment

Got a telling off when I was a permie for poor problem solving skills, there was a bug in our report which caused a penny to go missing now and then. Eventually figured out that nothing was wrong, numbers were being rounding in two other reports that were being compared to and sometimes it caused a penny's worth of difference. Manager informed me he had fixed it in an hour.

I patiently explained that he had not as the issue was a rounding error which is a problem in the law of maths and not in the code, therefore all he had done is shift the error somewhere else. He simply could not understand, the bug sat in my in box for 4 weeks with no change in status over it. He marked me down a grade on my review and I later found out that it meant I no longer qualified for a bonus so I resigned.

Later he left the company for a career change and got nowhere so came back to software and is now currently unemployed. Cannot say I am suprised.
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                    X