• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The popular kids at school

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The popular kids at school

I didn't conform to any social grouping when I was at school, I went to chess club, hung out with the audio visual crew and also played football to a successfully high standard with the "jock" (Americanism) types.

This Saturday I was invited to my mate's daughter's 18th birthday. He is a lovely bloke. She is a lovely kid. I was delighted to be invited along, and a lot of his family came up from Bournemouth and I have awesome friendhsips with them as well so it was all nice.

(Bare with me, this does not end well)

The party was fancy dress. 1960s and 1970s themed. Better yet my mate asked me to compile some 60s and 70s music for the party. I went to town on that one, spent 2 days searching high and low for the best that I could find from those decades. Respectfully to those that actually lived through them, I think I did a pretty good job.

So I turned up at the party. All getting going around 9pm. There's the birthday girl surrounded by her entourage. I pop her the birthday card, peck on cheek, meet and greet. All lovely. Then she asks if I brought the music. Yes I beam. Whack it on then suity. Blinding.

So I whack it on. 10 minutes later, a girl with very pink hair comes over and starts mucking about with the stereo. I watch in wonderment. She's pretty drunk. Quick as a flash, my CD is off and she's playing some ******* dubstep tulipe.

To add insult to injury she turns to be and says, "Sorry mate, orders of the birthday girl, you're music's tulipe!"

I mean sersiously, it had just played the Who and was revving into a Steppenwolfe track.

Then I assessed the situation. Birthday girl did not have the manners to come over herself. Then it clicked. She has grown into one of those "cheerleadery" types that are much parodied. All her mates were at it.

Good luck to them I thought. Soon her uncle comes over to me and says, "Oi Suity, where's the sounds man?" I explain what happened. He looked appalled and said, "She wants talking to really, that's not on. Why ask for a 60s and 70s themed party and then insist that the music is crap and replace it with this tulipe". I had to agree.

Spoilt little madam.

A little while later, one of the harem explains to me that "If there was some music from grease on there it would have been ok"

Apologies to any of those on hear that are offended by this sperm calling the music of their generation as tulipe, and dubstep as being superior. I was born in 77 so don't feel I have any right to be offended, but I was.

I have a much broader knowledge of the music from those decades and a broader music collection on my work PC now, so every cloud and all that.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Let's lower the tone as it's Monday in General.

Would you?

Comment

More importantly - did you watch the match on sunday

Comment

Get a job. You've too much time on your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
          More importantly - did you watch the match on sunday
          Of course he saw the match.. the spiral of negative results has started...

Comment

obvious really that the music would have to be modern.

Reason you got the pink chick was that she got the short straw, no one wanted to talk to the creepy bloke on the desk
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If might be an honest communication problem. They wanted, for want of a better phrase, commercial 60/70s which they would recognise. You might have played awesome classics but that was not what they wanted.

Is it possible that the girl might was a bit intimidated to come over in case it caused a scene rather than rude?
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                obvious really that the music would have to be modern.

Reason you got the pink chick was that she got the short straw, no one wanted to talk to the creepy bloke on the desk

I would have thought a better approach would have been some sort of compromise, rather than just a blanket "this is tulip, ours is better, now run along old man". It's not really the fact they didn't like the music that bothered me, it was the way it was put across.

As I said, spoilt little madam.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                  If might be an honest communication problem. They wanted, for want of a better phrase, commercial 60/70s which they would recognise. You might have played awesome classics but that was not what they wanted.

Is it possible that the girl might was a bit intimidated to come over in case it caused a scene rather than rude?
                  Well the girl in question had no problems or qualms about being very rude and very bolshy.

Comment

So did you shag the one with pink hair, later, when she was too drunk to say no ?

Comment

Working...
                    X