• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CLXVII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CLXVII

Almost got a new gig at a former ClientCo, but their client changed the schedule and now they'll have somebody free in-house Ah well, it leaves me more time to waste on this kind of thing:
    • Ocean Software - "Ocean Software was one of the biggest developers of arcade games within Europe during the 1980's and 1990's." History of one of the more successful 1980s games publishers.

• Mike Godwin on Godwin’s Law, Whether Nazi Comparisons Have Gotten Worse, and Being Compared to Hitler by His Daughter - "All the way back in 1990, a lawyer who has been on the Internet longer than you have, Mike Godwin, introduced the now widely familiar Godwin's Law, which predicted the inevitability of a Hitler or Nazi comparison arising during any online debate. Godwin, who lives in D.C. and works as a senior policy adviser at Internews, spoke to Daily Intelligencer about how Godwin's Law has changed through the years, whether it will still exist in the year 3000, and whether it will be mentioned in the first or second sentence of his obituary."

• The Aleph: Infinite Wonder - "The Aleph is a short story by Jorge Luis Borges in which a man is suddenly able to see all things at once... I wanted to present a version of what The Aleph might look like now, designed as an endless stream of descriptive passages pulled from the web. For source texts, I took the complete Project Gutenberg as well as current tweets. I searched for the phrase 'I saw.'" If you scroll slightly a menu bar will show up: you can choose whether to see content from Project Gutenberg, Twitter, or both. What you see will be unique to your visit.

• The Book-Writing Machine - "What was the first novel ever written on a word processor?" The answer is Len Deighton's Bomber, and they had to take out a window and use a crane to get the early IBM word processor (the "Magnetic Tape Selectric Typewriter") into his house.

• An incomplete history of London's television studios - "I am a relatively busy freelance television lighting director, working mostly in London's television studios. I became interested in the history of some of those studios almost as soon as I left the BBC to become freelance in the summer of 2002. I found myself working in places with backgrounds that in several cases went beyond the old ITV company days to the early years of cinema." Lots of info about studios, including a whole section on the places Gerry Anderson worked.

• Inside Google Street View: From Larry Page’s Car To The Depths Of The Grand Canyon - "Starting out as a camera strapped to Page’s car, Street View technology has been added to vans, cars, tripods, backpacks, bikes and even a snow mobile. It has become the eyes of all of Google’s vision for how we view the world after launching on May 25, 2007." Excellent look at how the technology was developed to its current state: they use fifteen 75 megapixel cameras now.

• Soviet College Admission — My Dad's Story (1970) - "Getting into university in the Soviet Union was a very different process than what we have here in the US. You could apply to one and only one university. If you didn’t get in, you’d be conscripted into the army the following Fall." Ilya Volodarsky explains how his father managed to get accepted (despite anti-Semitic quotas), including a 72 hour train journey and several nights sleeping rough and being moved on by the police.

• A Sine on the Road to Mecca - "Two recently discovered instruments have proved that Islamic mathematicians were even further ahead of their time than anyone knew. These Mecca-centered world maps, cast in brass, indicate the direction and distance to Mecca from any point in the medieval Muslim world, and they do so with a type of map projection that was unknown in the West until the 20th century."

• Guy livetweets hospital trip with a vibrating dildo stuck in his butt - "Of all the things to livetweet, a trip to the hospital with a dildo stuck in your rear would have to be the pinnacle of TMI." That didn't stop @Grawly; here's a Storify of his tweets, including an X-ray photo. NSFW? Maybe, maybe not

• 15,000 Volts: High voltage wood erosion - cool time-lapse video of what happens when you put 15,000V through a sheet of plywood

Happy invoicing!

Some great links as always thanks. Had a quick scan of the Ocean one and brought back some memories. Ruined many a Spectrum keyboard using various objects to get better on Decathlon. A golfball worked well but oddly warped the metal over the rubber keyboard until the glue failed and it sprung up in a U shape never to fit again. Can't wait to dig through the other retro links on that page..

The 15000V one is interesting. Maybe we could see 15,000V through Sasguru in timelapse
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      15,000 Volts: High voltage wood erosion - cool time-lapse video of what happens when you put 15,000V through a sheet of plywood
      Is that basically like an A* search?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Knew there was something on my 'to-do' list for when I got home.

It was to click on the dildo-butt link.

Here goes - wish me luck...

Comment

[*]15,000 Volts: High voltage wood erosion - cool time-lapse video of what happens when you put 15,000V through a sheet of plywood

[/LIST]

Happy invoicing!
          That is quiet beautiful.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            That is quiet beautiful.
            Try to resist the temptation to go around putting 15,000V through random stuff to see if it looks nice

Comment

Try to resist the temptation to go around putting 15,000V through random stuff to see if it looks nice
              Could make a great feature art piece on your living room wall.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
              X