• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Really?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really?

Where and when did this become a part of modern day English? If you see something you disapprove of, rather than form some constructive sentences to explain your disapproval, and weave in pathos/sarcasm/sardonism/satire to suit the circumstances and your own personal moaning style, you just get to point like a 3 year old would point at two dogs ******* and exclaim "really?".

It was cute in an American soap opera. Once!!!

It's the same as people who say "And I was so like ... OMG" rather than dare to reach for an adjective like "amazed" or "startled" or even one from the top drawer like "incredulous".

Is it not bad enough that our own soveriegnty is being handed over piece by piece to Europe, our currency drowning in the sea of currency death and our export markets going down the toilet that the one last vestage of our once great land, our language, the one most spoken the world over a few years back is also being diluted, perhaps more severely than our currency?

American telly, Geordie shore and Towie is the quantititave easing of our language.

Fight back people, use your vocabulary. You know you want to.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

1. sovereignty
    2. vestige
    3. quantitative

What do they teach you kids these days?

The vegetarian option.

Comment

"A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Yes, really.

I have a collins dictionary printed in 1990 that lists it as, among other things, an injerjection expressing surprise or doubt. So it's been around longer than you think.
        Last edited by doodab; 12 March 2013, 07:22.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

As an aside, some 'Americanisms' turn out to be archaic English usage that died out in the UK but not over there. They are actually more traditionally English than modern English English.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Where and when did this become a part of modern day English? If you see something you disapprove of, rather than form some constructive sentences to explain your disapproval, and weave in pathos/sarcasm/sardonism/satire to suit the circumstances and your own personal moaning style, you just get to point like a 3 year old would point at two dogs ******* and exclaim "really?".

It was cute in an American soap opera. Once!!!

It's the same as people who say "And I was so like ... OMG" rather than dare to reach for an adjective like "amazed" or "startled" or even one from the top drawer like "incredulous".

Is it not bad enough that our own soveriegnty is being handed over piece by piece to Europe, our currency drowning in the sea of currency death and our export markets going down the toilet that the one last vestage of our once great land, our language, the one most spoken the world over a few years back is also being diluted, perhaps more severely than our currency?

American telly, Geordie shore and Towie is the quantititave easing of our language.

Fight back people, use your vocabulary. You know you want to.
            suity, you wrote this at one in the morning. are you ok?

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
              suity, you wrote this at one in the morning. are you ok?
              Good Plan B socialworker - get him booked in for some private consultations. Boooomed !!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                weave in pathos/sarcasm/sardonism/satire
                I think "really?" delivered in a suitable tone can capture those sentiments. I quite like it.

Comment

Really?
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Whatevs....

Comment

Working...
                    X