• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lets host the world cup here in 2010

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets host the world cup here in 2010

I rememeber someone on this forum wanted to buy a house in this area. It a great area, gardens, white picket fences and dogs, apart from thieves with automatic weapons, everything is cool.

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...3906947C502526

A heavily armed gang rampaged through Parklands, Table View, on Friday morning, hijacking at least four cars, some in their owners' driveways.

Men carrying handguns and AK-47 assault rifles and thought to be wearing wigs as a disguise, struck as people left their homes for work, at around 9am, in a hijacking blitz that took no more than 10 minutes to carry out.

But the hijackers, who sources believed might have a police radio, abandoned all the cars around the suburb as they fled.

</SPAN>'They know what they want to do and they are just going to wait for things to calm down'A wig and an AK-47 magazine were found in one of the cars. Nobody was injured.

Police have warned the robbers might still be in the area and warned residents to be careful.

top.DisplayAds('StorRec',1,13);Ads_kid=0;Ads_bid=0 ;Ads_xl=0;Ads_yl=0;Ads_xp='';Ads_yp='';Ads_opt=0;A ds_wrd='';Ads_prf='';Ads_par='';Ads_cnturl='';Ads_ sec=0;function Ads_PopUp() {}

The owner of a new Volkswagen Golf GTi, who did not want to be named, was hijacked in his driveway as he waited for his garage door to close before leaving for work.

"I saw my neighbour's Mercedes-Benz reverse out of his driveway at speed and smash into a Renault Clio in the street," the man said.

"I first thought he was in the car, but then I saw it wasn't him. The next moment, a guy got out of the Renault, ran to my car and pointed a handgun at my head. He told me to get out and give him my cellphone.

"I just opened the door and lay flat on the ground. He got into my car and drove off, with the Mercedes-Benz following him."

The Golf was soon found abandoned in Dorchester Road, not far from the victim's home.

The Mercedes-Benz, a BMW, also apparently hijacked in the area, and the Renault were also found abandoned.

A police helicopter combed the area, but its crew were unable to spot the perpetrators.

Police at the scene where the Golf was found said they believed the gang was waiting for another opportunity to strike.

"They know what they want to do and they are just going to wait for things to calm down," one officer said.

Fearing the gang had planned to strike nearby banks or cashvan bases, police deployed the helicopter and put a watch on the establishments.

Ground patrols also moved into banks and shopping centres in the surrounding Table View, West Beach and Bloubergstrand areas.

The drama began shortly before 9am, when the gang pounced in the vicinity of Raats Drive, Table View, and held up the driver of a Renault Clio, but abandoned the vehicle minutes later.

The second and third attacks happened minutes later in Fernwood Close, Table View.

Police found the wig and AK-47 in the Mercedes-Benz in Camden Walk, Parklands.
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

FIFA have secret plans to make a last minute switch of the 2010 WC to Australia if things don't improve.

Still no doubt S.A. will soon go the way of Rhodesia and it will all be our fault
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

There was no good reason for SA to get the world cup in the first place. More feckin PC do-gooders.

If it's going to Africa, it should go to one of the arab states at the top, especially Morocco. They've been in loads more world cups than SA, and done better.

Comment

World Cup in Morocco, in July? Even FIFA aren't that stupid. Anyway I doubt Morocco has enough suitable stadiums.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
          World Cup in Morocco, in July? Even FIFA aren't that stupid. Anyway I doubt Morocco has enough suitable stadiums.
          I think SA has a bit of a stadium problem. They are also aparently 600 hotels short. It would appear their WC committe have suggested a number of tented villages.

Comment

Working...
          X