• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Won't somebody think of the children?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't somebody think of the children?

Majority of British children will soon be growing up in families struggling 'below the breadline', Government warned - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

Within two years, almost 7.1m of the nation’s 13m youngsters will be in homes with incomes judged to be less than the minimum necessary for a decent standard of living, according to a new report.
    All those living on less than £29,000 should get food stamps!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

They should be sent to boarding schools and given a high quality of education followed by a national service (social services or military). They should have the opportunity to escape from their environments.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I'm really sceptical about this to be honest as the minimum amount needed varies across parts of the country
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        I'm really sceptical about this to be honest as the minimum amount needed varies across parts of the country
        It is typical manipulative rhetoric from the left. If the poor were to be afforded a minimal decent standard of living from the state there would be more of them and fewer people to pay for it
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          It is typical manipulative rhetoric from the left. If the poor were to be afforded a minimal decent standard of living from the state there would be more of them and fewer people to pay for it
          It sure is I'm getting fed up of reading it every few weeks, let's reward the below average and flog the successful and milk them for all they're worth. I would have been classed as below the breadline when growing up yet my mum always had a lot more disposable income than those that worked funny that
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
            Agreed.

By 2015, a lone parent with one child is calculated to require an annual income of £19,226 to have a decent standard of living, rising to £23,992 for a lone parent with two children, £24,643 for a couple with one child and £29,093 if they have two children
            Those numbers are pretty random. I can sort of see these figures working out from the Midlands to further up North, but not so much even just 10 miles South of where I'm based.

That said - it's hard to feel sympathetic for those families. Having children is a choice. Don't do it, if you can't afford to bring them up in a 'decent standard of living'.

And in your typical manipulative right wing rhetoric, you are - as usual - forgetting that a lot of these poor families aren't currently in receipt of any state benefits. Welfare cuts are only one "problem" (and not the one I'm concerned or sympathetic about). Tax rises and low wages are the bigger issue.
            Last edited by formant; 13 March 2013, 10:26.

Comment

"By 2015, a lone parent with one child is calculated to require an annual income of £19,226 to have a decent standard of living, rising to £23,992 for a lone parent with two children, £24,643 for a couple with one child and £29,093 if they have two children. But Mr Reed calculated that 54 per cent of youngsters will be living in households with income below those levels in two years’ time."

Those figures seem pretty low. If you cannot scrape together the amounts in this report then don't have kids. How can 2 people, who between them cannot earn 29k justify having a second kid?
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
                Agreed.

Those numbers are pretty random. I can sort of see these figures working out from the Midlands to further up North, but not so much even just 10 miles South of where I'm based.

That said - it's hard to feel sympathetic for those families. Having children is a choice. Don't do it, if you can't afford to bring them up in a 'decent standard of living'.

And in your typical manipulative right wing rhetoric, you are - as usual - forgetting that a lot of these poor families aren't currently in receipt of any state benefits. Welfare cuts are only one "problem" (and not the one I'm concerned or sympathetic about). Tax rises and low wages are the bigger issue.

explain why my words are manipulative please

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                  "By 2015, a lone parent with one child is calculated to require an annual income of £19,226 to have a decent standard of living, rising to £23,992 for a lone parent with two children, £24,643 for a couple with one child and £29,093 if they have two children. But Mr Reed calculated that 54 per cent of youngsters will be living in households with income below those levels in two years’ time."

Those figures seem pretty low. If you cannot scrape together the amounts in this report then don't have kids. How can 2 people, who between them cannot earn 29k justify having a second kid?
                  I'd say those figures would be lower again when applied to Wales, having children is a personal decision if you choose to do it then you're responsible for supporting them. Another anecdote I know but when I initially told the majority of my family my wife was pregnant and it was planned they all had this look of across their faces.

Such is their lack of responsibility when it comes to breeding
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

explain why my words are manipulative please
                    You're focussing on one group of poor people, when the problem outlined by the article affects many more.

Or do you actually feel that low or minimum-wage workers can be thrown into the same pot as unemployed benefit recipients?

I'd hope not. But it's just the more emotive - Wail like - narrative to moan about those maintained by the state, as if they're the only ones that are struggling to get by.

Comment

Working...
                    X