• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End date approaching, when should I approach my boss to see if its being extended?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End date approaching, when should I approach my boss to see if its being extended?

Hi

Been finding these forums very useful so its time to post a question :-)

My last day on this contract I'm in is currently 8th April which is a little over 3 weeks away. Have been waiting for my boss to roll up to let me know whether I'm being extended or not but nothing so far. The project has had a lot of upheaval with quite a few people coming and going (mostly going)
    and the old roadmap has been thrown out the window with a new one promised a while ago but yet to appear, so quite a few people (including probably my boss) don't know whats going to happen next week never mind in a months time...

Question is when do I approach him to see how the land lies. I was thinking this Friday and if its a no then that gives me the weekend to get my CV etc sorted and then 3 weeks to look for a new role as I don't want to be benched if I can help it!

Thoughts, too soon? Right time? Should have done it ages ago?

Cheers

kal

If you see him as your boss you need to ask him if he has got any permie jobs going IMO....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I just send an email 2 weeks before the end of contract date and ask.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
        Hi

Been finding these forums very useful so its time to post a question :-)

My last day on this contract I'm in is currently 8th April which is a little over 3 weeks away. Have been waiting for my boss to roll up to let me know whether I'm being extended or not but nothing so far. The project has had a lot of upheaval with quite a few people coming and going (mostly going)
        and the old roadmap has been thrown out the window with a new one promised a while ago but yet to appear, so quite a few people (including probably my boss) don't know whats going to happen next week never mind in a months time...

Question is when do I approach him to see how the land lies. I was thinking this Friday and if its a no then that gives me the weekend to get my CV etc sorted and then 3 weeks to look for a new role as I don't want to be benched if I can help it!

Thoughts, too soon? Right time? Should have done it ages ago?

Cheers

kal

Can you guess the answer from the highlighted text above? It is staring right in your face.

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
          Can you guess the answer from the highlighted text above?
          Yeah its not looking good I know but getting it confirmed one way of the other would be nice, I'll try and corner him on Friday!

Comment

Turn up in interview clothes one day, that usually gets things moving I have found.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Turn up in interview clothes one day, that usually gets things moving I have found.
              It's casual dress here so that would certainly be dropping a big hint

Comment

Ask the agent to ask.

Failing that, ask what they want you to do about handover.

Comment

I always ask 6 weeks from end date. No hassle, no fuss, just a straight forward business question. Usually just "do you plan to renew my contract"?

6 weeks is too early to start looking for a new gig, but it does give the client plenty of time to sort out budget, approval etc. if he/she do intend to renew.

Comment

In my experience, if you are wondering if you are going to be extended then it is probably time to start looking. It is the gigs where you know you are indispensable that you get extended on.

Comment

Working...
                    X