• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Keeping track of expenses. What do you use?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a simple spreadsheet, but I am not very good at keeping it up to date - I then have to go to my transaction list and figure out what is what.
    Are you using anything that simplifies such matters? I usually get an email receipt for almost everything that I purchase, is there any software that could use that as an input?
    (if not perhaps a good idea for plan b)

You should be paying your mother in law 7.5k to do this!

Comment

There are apps i.e. expensify that allow you to scan in your receipts on your phone and upload them as you go but to be honest if you can't complete a simple spreadsheet weekly/bi-weekly then no app is going to help you with your laziness.
      Last edited by SueEllen; 14 March 2013, 14:09.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
        I use a simple spreadsheet, but I am not very good at keeping it up to date - I then have to go to my transaction list and figure out what is what.
        Are you using anything that simplifies such matters? I usually get an email receipt for almost everything that I purchase, is there any software that could use that as an input?
        There's a few iphone apps and I would imagine android as well. You can photograph the receipts which might mean that you do not necessarily need a hard copy. Perosnally I dont bother though as I dont expense that much so the admin really doesnt take long.

7 iPhone Expense Tracker Apps

Comment

Receipts go into a folder - one for me, one for Mrs, one for company.

At the end of the month, they get copied onto a paper summary sheet, and then entered into accountant's portal.

Paper copies are filed in a ring binder for the trading year. Current year goes in the desk drawer, previous years go on the bookshelves.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
            This is the problem. No amount of technology is going to help if you can't be arsed.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Er, memory. I think!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Hmm. Why do you need an additional tracker? I pay for everything by company debit card and just upload bank statments to FreeAgaent

Comment

They go in a cardboard box and then the cardboard box is given to the accountant, thats what I pay them for...
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I have a seperate section in my wallet for ltd-co expenses, once a month i go through them and upload them into a spreadsheet based on a template i found online, then file the receipts in an individual folder per month. Few fellow contractors think it is a bit overkill, but i like to know that if hector knocked on my door and asked me about an individual claim, i would be able to easily find the receipt with ease.

Comment

Working...
                    X